Cranking out batches - FAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
So I'm still in the n00b category, but I've been trying to absorb as much reading/listening/viewing as is practical to learn the 'art' of brewing. In doing so, it seems as though some brewers - home and craft - are producing batches and are able to provide tasting notes for them extremely quickly.

For example, Brewer A states they are going to make Beer A. Then a couple of weeks later, they are commenting on how it came out. Maybe I'm just confusing all of my sources. Maybe not. From my experience, it seems to take something like a minimum of 6 weeks to ready an extract batch. Maybe they are just commenting on it after primary? How effective is it to taste it then as opposed to after it has conditioned?

Your feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks,
NHAnimator

I'm at batch 12 right now. But I taste at pitching, at least twice from the fermentation bucket when I take my gravity measurements and at bottling. And then after 1, 2 and 3 weeks in the bottle.

I have had issues (see recent posting) with developing off-flavors (likely from tap water) so I may taste test more than others. But I think a lot of people on here test pretty frequently. It gives you an idea of how your bathces change over time and gives a good appreciation for the process as a whole.

And you get to drink beer.

Once you get experience you can start to tell fairly quickly how good the final product will be.

Beers can be ready in less than 6 weeks if you have good temperature control during fermentation, pitch a good amount of healthy yeast and brew low gravity beers (1.040 and under). I bottle and I have beers that are readya month after brewday without any sign of "green" beer.

Kegging also reduces the time from grain to glass by a good 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, it's always a good idea to taste your beers before pitching and a few times afterward. I used to taste a lot more when I started out, now I just taste when takig a gravity sample.

Some beers take a lot longer to ferment/condition than others. So the amount of time required will depend on the style of beer you are brewing.

Back