Cranberry flavored brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny967

Reaction score
Was asked a question I can't answer. Anyone ever make a cranberry based seasonal lager or IPA? Lot of pumpkin and blueberry variants... but cranberry?!?

If you can dream it you can probably brew it...in a sense. Never heard of a cranberrry IPA though but I suppose it could be done.

It's not a very good idea to put fruit in a hoppy beer like an IPA. The hops will overpower the fruit flavor. Dogfish Head Aprihops is one of the few beers i've had that both attempted it and pulled it off.

New Belgium Kick is a cranberry sour beer. I think it's decent.

I didn't do an IPA, as Dogphish said, not a great idea with all those hops, BUT I did do a sort of Old Ale type thing... it was years ago (1993?), but IIRC, it was around 1.065 +/-... the basic wort was similar to Rogue Dead Guy, but with about 15% lower bittering. There were some other Christmas-y items, a bit of ginger and a little cinnamon. Used about 2# of cranberries, threw them in boiling water to sanitize them... they split in the process. Strained them out of the water and dumped them in my ferm just before the wort went in. The resulting beer was amazing, BUT it took a while to mature... couple months + in the bottle before the flavors had blended/mellowed

Back