Craisin Question: Will they drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSponge

Reaction score
In a fit of "I've got to do something", I fixed up a gallon of AJ, SA04, and added a cup of craisins. I know they add a lot of sugar, but I just needed to tinker.

They've been at it for a while, and everything is burbling merrily along, but they are floating high and I wonder if they will ever drop. I thought everything dropped eventually (well, not wood chips).

It will be a while before the cider clears, but can I hope that about the same time that the craisens will wind up on the bottom?

This sounds delicious. I'm a huge fan of Craisins. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Sounds good Joe. I started a cranberry cyser this weekend without about same thought process. Had yeast cake and some leftover cranberry wine in my 1gallon primary. found apple juice and honey and shelf, dumped it all in there. :)

Just for documentation purposes (because I'm messy and lose my records):

Cider started: 6/5/09 (12:30 am of 6/4/09)
Contents:
1 gal Kedem AJ (inexpensive, hopefully not "cheap)
SA-04 (Safale)

After pitching, I added approx 1 c of Craisins (brand name), and irritated the bottle (aggitated, irritated, what's the diff?).

Kedem usually OGs (SGs?) at 1.048 - 1.050
I did not measure OG after adding the craisins, and there is sugar on them and in them, and I would only get an approx starting gravity anyway.

I took my hydrometer home and forgot to bring it back the next week, so did not disturb the fermentation. It's still going, and I'm itching to do something, but I'll be patient until I remember to bring the hydrometer back.

The color is pretty, a light pinkish over a deeper apple color. Smell (from the air lock vent) is light floral. The craisins are massed at the neck (for attack). The night I started it, I was woken up at about 4am when air lock clogged and kicked a plastic lid off. Put it in the tub and let it sit over the w/e. It definitely over-flowed, fillng water reservoir in the air lock w/ pink AJ and teeny craisin bits. Very active. Cleaned air lock, refilled and haven't had another over-flow.

Craisins have a bleached-out look. While writing this, I couldn't stand it and found a clean straw put push down into the massed craisins (and steef some young cider out). The craisins are not tightly packed and receded peacefully. Took < a straw's worth of fluid into shot glass. Out side of the carboy, it looks very pale (unfortunately, I didn't think about it being a tinted glass). Smells like a light, inexpensive rose, and tastes similarly. It's not dry, but not sweet either. If I remember to measure the gravity next week, I might put it up and let it start aging...

Crider.jpg

Over all, I'm pleased at this point, but really want to do several more... the local Giant was carrying Black Currant juice, which has an interesting taste, and of course, Whole Foods has every kind of juice I can think of... cherry, sour cherry, black cherry, blueberry, cranberry (regular, reconsituted, and concentrated), grape, pomegranite... and more. I think they also have beet juice.

It would be worth investing in a time machine just to speed up the cider aging process...

When ever I use raisens or craisens I chop them up into very small pieces and add them after primary fermentation has slowed. Helps keep the flavor and I hope lets the yeast get to everything.
But, yes. Please do not start a thread without giving a final tasting view.

I have two batches of Ancient Orange Mead in carboys and once I feel like I have a handle on the basic recipe I want to try some variations. Has anybody used craisins in a mead? I have some and I'd love to try it. Just so I'm not totally hijacking this thread, I'll probably also try them in a cider once I hear the results of the taste test...

I finally (!) got around to bottling the brew on 9/9/9. The scent is very nice. Taste? Well, it needs a little while.

A couple of weird things... due to the place that I stay, I have a corner in my room w/ the gallon jug. I usually just check it visually every once in a while, trying to keep from messing with it. I came back from an extended weekend and found that the 3-part air lock had reversed. It had started sucking the air fluid backwards. This is a new one for me. I noticed a white-ish grease/crud formed at the neck where the cider met the glass. I am hoping it is not vinegar. Smell was still very nice. I figured I had to bottle it and hope for the best.

All of the craisins had fallen. It must have happened all at once, because I remember for the longest time, a few had dropped but most floating, then next time I noticed, all had fallen out.

Color is very nice rose (water) color, kind of a yellowish-light-pink. I wound up with about 8 oz left on the lees, and I sampled. Not bad, but not finished. No sweet, of course. No noticable alcohol feel/burn/taste. But I did notice that the corner where the floor and wall met was tilting a little. Strange, that. I have 6 20-oz bottles waiting. I'll test a few in a while and see what happens.

My next attempt will be a malt-extract-sweetened cider. Re-mead, one day... one day -- espectially a Capsicumel. but I really need to find something that I can ferment, bottle, and give out to friends w/out needing a 6 month rest.

Malted ciders are delicious--do a search on here for "Graff" and read about Brandon's malted, hopped ciders.

Back