Craigslist Marvel 61HK Kegerator not cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshindc

Reaction score
I bought a Marvel 61HK Kegerator for $30 off craigslist. I plugged it in and the compressor and condenser fan turn on and stay on, but the fridge doesn't get cold. The condenser plate inside the fridge gets a little cool (ie, there is some condensation) but only for a couple inches by the inlet.

Is this indicative of a freon leak? Is there anything else I should check? I'm assuming a freon leak will be prohibitively expensive to fix?

Thanks for your help!

Certainly has all the classic signs of low refrigerant.
Figure $200 bucks just to have someone look at it.

Sorry, but it's probably best to let it go...

Yeah, I'm not too heartbroken; it was $30 so I had my doubts. It's making kind of a water rushing/hissing noise inside the cooling chamber as well; does that mean anything to anyone?

I figure I got my money's worth with a full 5# tank of CO2, the regulator and taps, so I'll probably try percussive therapy a few more times (hitting things with a hammer/screwdriver) and then toss it if it doesn't work.

Thanks

Back