Craigslist Kegging Found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRI

Reaction score
Due to my schedule/personality it really isn't practical for me to keep bottling, so I need to start kegging. I want to make the switch ASAP since I'm holding off brewing until I get a set up at my house. I've been creeping on craigslist hoping for a good deal and I found this

"For sale are the following items for a complete kegging package:

$75 - New 5lb CO2 tank (empty)
$45 - Taprite dual gauge CO2 regulator
$30 - Used 5 gallon ball-lock Cornelius keg
$10 - 5' 3/16" beer line w/ 1/4" MFL and picnic tap
$8 - Ball-lock gas IN disconnect
$8 - Ball-lock liquid OUT disconnect
$5 - 2x1/4" MFL tubing adaptors
$2 - 4' 1/4" gas line
$1 - 2 one ear clamps "

I'm not very familiar with kegging set ups yet, but I got some extra money lying around and am really considering dropping the money (184) to just get this set up and start tinkering around with it. What I'm asking for here is any advice or good questions I can ask the guy to ensure that I'm getting the best deal I can. I checked on AHS to get a price to compare it to and it would be cheaper for me to do it off of craigslist. Also, are there any physical defects that might not be obvious at first glance that I should look for when I go to check out the equipment?

All those prices seem to be about the same price you can buy stuff online for. Aside from saving in shipping and having it (presumably) all hooked up and ready to go - I don't see the "deal" here.

Check a welding supply store for a CO2 tank. Just picked up a used-but-recently-certified 10# for $65. Found one on CL here with a reg for $25 but it wasn't tested in the past 10 years so I passed on it.

Regulator seems about on-par price-wise from what I've been finding.

I just recently picked up 10 used ball-lock cornies for $20/each and ordered a bunch of o-rings, bringing the price to about $25/each reconditioned.

Gas in/beer out disconnects are $7 for new at my LHBS.

I emailed that guy and never heard a response. He has had the same setup on craigslist for months and won't come down in price.

i was happy w/ my kegconnecton purchase. Amazing deal for everything setup already. I think the only upside to this craigslist deal is that if you pick it up you save on shipping and you're getting the dual gauge regulator.

Just pass on it.

Either the guy is trying to pass of used stuff at new prices, or he's really a retailer from a LHBS trying to sell a kegging kit at their normal price and calling it some sort of deal on Craigslist.

Just go buy from a reputable vendor on here and save some money AND headache.

I personally have had nothing but problems with kegconnection.com. On 2 different orders I had parts missing, or received the incorrect parts. Both orders were sent to the wrong address. I was charged CA sales tax on my first order, despite living in OR. It was a MAJOR headache getting that $$ refunded (literally 6 calls and 5 emails). I gave them a second try, re-entered my info on their site and the order STILL was sent to the wrong address (again). One of the corny kegs I received does not seal correctly, and I have to rig it every time to seal (it is not an o-ring issue). I would return it if I didn't fear the nightmare of dealing with them again.

Let me be clear- I think the guys at kegconnection.com are nice guys who mean well, but from my two (and only) experiences they are CRAZY disorganized.

Those craigslist prices are extremely high even if it was brand new. You can get the same setup for probably $100 on Ebay.

Due to my schedule/personality it really isn't practical for me to keep bottling, so I need to start kegging. I want to make the switch ASAP since I'm holding off brewing until I get a set up at my house. I've been creeping on craigslist hoping for a good deal and I found this

I bought some stuff from this craigslist guy a few years ago, and, at that time, it was just a few dollars more than I could find online.

When you are buying online, the Co2 tank will be empty (you get it full from this guy) and you will have to pay shipping. That makes the price almost even.

When I bought it, I went to his house in Woburn(?), and he gave me a tutorial on how to use & clean the equipment, which was great since I was a complete kegging newbie. He was also a really nice guy.

I say buy local and buy from him!

Back