CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the Adafruit MAX31865 PT100 board working with the code linked above (needed to alter it slightly as the Adafruit board uses a different reference resistor - 430 Ohms instead of 400 Ohms), so now I need to port that code into a CBP temperature sensor module (using the 1-wire sensor code as a model).

What value did you set RES0 to for 430 Ohms?

What value did you set RES0 to for 430 Ohms?

I changed a line in the code for calculating the temperature from the raw output that tells the code what the reference resistance is. I set it to 430.0.

The linear approximation doesn't work, because the fit values assume 400.0 from the test board, but the more complex calculation does.

So if I am following correctly, you set R_REF = 430 and left Res0 = 100 as is? Neither of these constants factors into the linear calculation, but they do factor into the quadratic one.

So if I am following correctly, you set R_REF = 430 and left Res0 = 100 as is? Neither of these constants factors into the linear calculation, but they do factor into the quadratic one.

Yes. It should be the right way to do it, as the REF resistor on the AdaFruit board is 430 Ohms (instead of 400 Ohms on the board used by the guy who wrote that Python code), and Res0 is the sensor resistance at 0C, which is 100 Ohms for a PT100.

Currently I have my Pi GPIO directly connected directly to the SSR. I have read that this can cause issues. I remember reading somewhere that you could use some simple parts like a transistor and resistor but can't remember where I read it. Does anyone know where I can find the part numbers and wiring diagram or maybe suggest another method of connecting the GPIO to the SSR. I have a pretty simple setup so not really interested in buying one of the premade boards.

Thanks

Currently I have my Pi GPIO directly connected directly to the SSR. I have read that this can cause issues. I remember reading somewhere that you could use some simple parts like a transistor and resistor but can't remember where I read it. Does anyone know where I can find the part numbers and wiring diagram or maybe suggest another method of connecting the GPIO to the SSR. I have a pretty simple setup so not really interested in buying one of the premade boards.

Thanks

Maybe im lucky, but ive just had my SSR's wired to my GPIO pins for years using Strangebrew Elsinore and now CraftBeerPi and have had no issues.

Has anybody figured out how to use CBI to control a gas valve?

This should help if you're running a 12v board. I found it on a previous post on this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=569497&page=86

Transformer: Honeywell AT72D1683 120V/24V Transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000692A58/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Valve: Honeywell International VR8200A2132 Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECV2W90/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thermocouple: Honeywell CQ100A1005 36-Inch Replacement Thermocouple for Gas Furnaces, Boilers and Water Heaters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YFGFNK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Pilot: Honeywell Q314A4586 Pilot Burner - Use with natural gas and propane https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CW0D1E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a link for it? I couldn't find it on GitHub.

The Git page is here.

However, with CBPi 3.0, you just install the plugins via System-->Add-On. Then you scroll to the plugin you want and click 'Download'. It will then download and install the plugin to your CBPi installation. Make sure that you are using the newest version of CBPi V.3.

Maybe a dumb question, but will this system work with an Arduino Mega 2560?

I just got the Elegoo knockoff and this setup intrigues me...

Highly unlikely, as it is written in Python, and relies on an operating system, and arduinos don't have an operating system. It runs on Raspbian, the Raspberry Pi specific distribution of Debian Linux. It will probably work out of the box on another Debian based linux distro, and maybe other linux distros but probably not much else

Hey guys,

I was making a new batch for friend and I have few boards left, 5.0 and 3.1
v3.1.png

v5.png

design are also available on my github https://github.com/terragady/CraftBeerPi

10$ shipped plus 1$ for mp1584 module if you need it ;)

Just a disclaimer - terragady.com is NOT my website so please do not ask me about your orders there... I got a lot of messages.

Hey guys,

I was making a new batch for friend and I have few boards left, 5.0 and 3.1
v3.1.png

v5.png

design are also available on my github https://github.com/terragady/CraftBeerPi

10$ shipped plus 1$ for mp1584 module if you need it ;)

Just a disclaimer - terragady.com is NOT my website so please do not ask me about your orders there... I got a lot of messages.

Have you ever contemplated adding screw terminals for flow sensors to the design of your board?

Answered a bit differently, I tried to use a Mega 2560 from Landmark and it did not work. The Arduino code had not been compiled for that board.

Get a legit Arduino Uno R3 compatible board. They cost < $10 US.

I setup craftbeerpi 3 and am assuming I set something up wrong. When a step is running the actor "mash tun heating element" never powers on. If I click the image of the actor it powers on but it's not using the pidautotune logic, just manual on/off.

When a step is finished I have to click "next step" or it'll just sit there, is there a setting for auto steps?

Some steps advance automatically others do not (mashin). As your actor goes, you have to enter PID values for Auto to turn on your element.

Here are the settings I have for the pidautotune, im not sure what I did wrong but I did run the autotune function to get the pid values and it still isn't working:

Screenshot_2017-07-17-22-47-31.png

I gave this a shot and for some reason it's still not turning on the actor. I tried switching it to hysteresis mode and some no luck.

Remove the kettle you set up?Maybe delete and reinstall everything? Have you asked this question in the facebook group too. There is way more information.

Good day all. I've been meaning to switch to electric brewing, and to scale my brewing back to 3-5 gallons only. I've read a great deal of information at the Electric Brewery, and I was thinking of building my own controller. That's when I stumbled across CraftBeerPi. It looks like I can build a Pi based system for about the same cost as a manual system.

My goal would be to do a single vessel BIAB rig with one 120v element, and one 12v/24v pump. I would like to mash recirculate, but also use the pump to whirlpool during cooling. I have quite a lot of the equipment picked out already.

I guess my questions are:

Would this be doable?
Can I control the speed of the pump through the application?

Good day all. I've been meaning to switch to electric brewing, and to scale my brewing back to 3-5 gallons only. I've read a great deal of information at the Electric Brewery, and I was thinking of building my own controller. That's when I stumbled across CraftBeerPi. It looks like I can build a Pi based system for about the same cost as a manual system.

My goal would be to do a single vessel BIAB rig with one 120v element, and one 12v/24v pump. I would like to mash recirculate, but also use the pump to whirlpool during cooling. I have quite a lot of the equipment picked out already.

I guess my questions are:

Would this be doable?
Can I control the speed of the pump through the application?

Why would you want to change the speed of the pump? If you're wanting to control FLOW, buy a March or Chugger pump and put a ball valve on the output. The pump can run perfectly fine even with the output completely shut off.

Why would you want to change the speed of the pump? If you're wanting to control FLOW, buy a March or Chugger pump and put a ball valve on the output. The pump can run perfectly fine even with the output completely shut off.

Because speed control of the 24V DC pumps is a lot more controllable and repeatable than using a ball valve to throttle back a pump. It's also one less valve to dismantle and clean. It's also plausible to automate it.

There's also no need to buy a Chugger or March pump to use a ball valve to control the flow. That works fine on the $20 DC pumps.

To control the speed of the DC pumps, you need a high frequency PWM system. It's probably best to work out how to apply the right control voltage from a Pi DAC output addon to one of the PWM speed controllers known to work with the DC pumps.

Because speed control of the 24V DC pumps is a lot more controllable and repeatable than using a ball valve to throttle back a pump. It's also one less valve to dismantle and clean. It's also plausible to automate it.

There's also no need to buy a Chugger or March pump to use a ball valve to control the flow. That works fine on the $20 DC pumps.

To control the speed of the DC pumps, you need a high frequency PWM system. It's probably best to work out how to apply the right control voltage from a Pi DAC output addon to one of the PWM speed controllers known to work with the DC pumps.

I have a very similar question about PWM pump speed control. I haven't found an answer yet though.

I could always use a potentiometer on the low voltage side and choke it that way. Not fully automated, but it might be better as each operation might need different settings.

I'd like to use the PID logic but it would need to be rewritten for flow rate instead of temperature. Also the Kettle Controller would need to rewritten to be a Pump Controller.

You can easily control the speed of a 12/24V DC pump from a microcontroller output that can drive a high frequency PWM output. All you need is a FET transistor. Use the microcontroller's pin to drive the gate of the FET. I do this with an Arduino. Disclaimer, I haven't done this on a Pi and I have no idea if the craftbeerpi SW will support high frequency PWM outputs.

Back