Craft Malt Supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
So I just discovered that there are smaller, local maltsters scattered around the country-- who knew? :). Many, but not all, are listed in the attached links, as well as a list of vendors.

Craft Maltsters Guild- List of Maltsters:

https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt/craft-malt-finder/

Vendors that sell to Homebrewers:

https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt/homebrewer-craft-malt-resources/

The vendors are mostly local HBS, many with not so good websites, making obtaining these malts a bit more challenging.

North Carolina is closest to me and I found these two vendors:

Atlantic Brew Supply- Epiphany Malt- Seems to only carry a base malt at this time, cheapest at $1.79. Has some interesting and very well priced kits that include yeast. $8 flat shipping.

https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/search.asp?keyword=epiphany&search=Go

Asheville Brewers Supply- Riverbend Malts- only 1 2-row base malt, a few other 6-row base malts at $1.95. $8.50 flat shipping. They also carry Avangard, which I don’t see being carried by the big boys. An interesting malt “Heritage” reported to be between Munich and Vienna at 7L, but 6-row.

https://ashevillebrewers.com/search?type=product&q=riverbend

Of the group, the only name I recognize is Great Fermentations, they carry product from Sugar Creek Malts.

Great Fermentations- various types of malts (best selection I found) from Sugar Creek Malts. Highest price at $2.29. $8.99 flat shipping.

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/category/s?keyword=sugar+creek

I’m leaning towards using Atlantic Brew Supply. Is anyone out there using malts from these craft maltsters, and if so, where are you buying them from? Anything interesting or unusual out there? Clearly, with malt, shipping can kill the deal, so flat shipping is essential. I would like a supplier that has a website to order from, as opposed to having to call or email. Any suggestions welcome.

I went on a tour of Admiral Malting in Alameda CA (San Francisco Bay Area). Learning the history of malting was fascinating. Especially how they are working with local universities to promote sustainable farming practices with barley growing!

Loved the process so much I wrote my first blog post about it HERE, lol.

They don't seem to sell directly to home brewers, but I can get their stuff by the pound at the Los Altos MoreBeer location! I've used a couple of their grains, makes for a very tasty beer. Something for homebrewers in the Bay Area to check out :)

I recently noticed morebeer is now carrying some Admiral malts. That is where I get most of my ingredients, (no local HB store around here). I recently ordered a bag to test. Twice the cost of most of the malts I normally use, it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable flavor difference.

There's a place near Charlotte called Carolina Malt House. Not sure if it's available online, but they have it at Alternative Beverage for $67/sack, or at the new place in Concord (Brewers Depot) for $50/sack. I haven't seen it myself, but that was the pricing I saw through email.

@smata67 , thanks for posting this thread. I've been interested in craft malt since discovering the epiphany malt at Atlantic brew supply, so it's great to see more information and the list of other maltsters. I actually used the Epiphany base malt in my last brew and it turned out really good. Could be a coincidence, but the batch had the best head retention of any batch I have made so far.

In addition to the base malt from Epiphany, Atlantic also has Epiphany chocolate malt, malted corn, Melanoidin, Munich, Rye Malt, Triticale Malt, Vienna, and Wheat Malt. I haven't tried this, but according to the website they do offer full bags of everything as well as by the ounce. I've only purchased ingredients from them per a particular recipe, (so by the pound or ounce) but their customer service was great and my ingredients were very fresh. The batch I made with the Epiphany base malt over shot the OG by 3 points. I was shooting for 1.063 and hit 1.066. It could be my process is getting better, but this batch was all around better than previous batches. So my thought is that some of that has to be due to the ingredients used.

Cheers!

I'm excited about the possibility of using ingredients from these small maltsters. I think their product may not be as consistent or uniform as the big boys, but neither is my beer, so a good match. Atlantic site has them out of the specialty malts, I'm going to call them Monday to find out what the deal is. The Riverbend Heritage malt sold by Asheville looks like a winner for a SMASH, designed to have a light munich/vienna taste.

I have been studying the Atlantic prices, comparing to NB, mostly the same or better, sometimes substantially better, for example the candi syrups at $6.99 vs. $11.99 for NB. Omega yeasts are $7.49 vs $10.00 for NB. DME 3# $10.00 vs. $13.99. The by the ounce purchase is a huge plus, no leftover grain, which is a pain to deal with. I will probably switch to them for the time being, ground shipping should be quick for me to.

I’ve used Atlantic Brew Supply and Great Fermentations and am extremely happy with them. My next order will be with Steinbart to get Mecca Grade Malts

I have been studying the Atlantic prices, comparing to NB, mostly the same or better, sometimes substantially better, for example the candi syrups at $6.99 vs. $11.99 for NB. Omega yeasts are $7.49 vs $10.00 for NB. DME 3# $10.00 vs. $13.99. The by the ounce purchase is a huge plus, no leftover grain, which is a pain to deal with. I will probably switch to them for the time being, ground shipping should be quick for me to.

I haven't ordered from NB, but definitely recommend ABS. My order arrived in a couple of days and my yeast was still happy and healthy. Yeast was packed in a separate reflectix pouch along with ice packs and the pouch was taped to the inside of the box to prevent it getting damaged. Great customer service too.

I went on a tour of Admiral Malting in Alameda CA (San Francisco Bay Area). Learning the history of malting was fascinating. Especially how they are working with local universities to promote sustainable farming practices with barley growing!

Loved the process so much I wrote my first blog post about it HERE, lol.

They don't seem to sell directly to home brewers, but I can get their stuff by the pound at the Los Altos MoreBeer location! I've used a couple of their grains, makes for a very tasty beer. Something for homebrewers in the Bay Area to check out :)

I just learned about this place the other day! I called them up to ask if they sell direct to homebrewers. They said they have a number of homebrew customers, and that you can order grain at their brewpub "The Rake." Not sure if you can buy less than a full 50lb sack, headed up there this weekend to check it out.

Maltwerks is a new one in Detroit Lakes, MN. Just tried some of there pale 2 row from my LHBS. Haven't gotten to tasting yet.

Some breweries if you get to know them well enough will sell you base grain at least at cost. The guys that help me out either have it when I ask or give me a date to come by. I think I pay $32 for 55lbs of two row and $29 for Pilsner. It doesn't effect their business and they get the money they paid for it. They've offered hops and other malts at cost, I figured what their saving me on base I'll get those from online places like Farmhouse. Don't want to take advantage of their generosity.

Latest posts

Back