Craft Breweries in southern MD or near BWI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be in the MD area for a quick trip next week. I will be in southern MD heading back to BWI airport (Tuesday the 23rd) to return home and was thinking of trying to find a craft brewery place to stop at and grab some dinner if possible and sample some brews. I've done some Google searches but I am not having much luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love trying to stop at these types of places if I can. Thanks in advance everyone!

Below are the list of places I have hit in the past since usually I come from northern MD back to BWI.

DFH
Heavy Seas
Duclaw
Jailbreak
Ellicott Mills Brewing

Heavy Seas is good beer (haven't been to the brewery yet) and I've heard good things about Jailbreak. Duclaw is good, over at Ann Arundel Mills (outlet mall). But, I LOVE Pub Dog in Columbia. Pizza, wings and beer (brewed elsewhere in MD) served in two small mugs vs 1 pint glass - just their "hook" (from the pre-prohibition bar the creators based their idea off of). Great for a few beers and a pizza. Another good place down the street from Pub Dog is Frisco Taphouse - good local beer selection, and the food is very good.

http://www.pubdog.com/ -
8865 Stanford Blvd.
Columbia, MD 21045
(410) 872-0364

http://www.friscotaphouse.com/
6695 Dobbin Road
Columbia, MD, 21045 (Google Map)
Phone: 410.312.4907

Thank @mikeasu! I will try Pub Dog on my next trip in March for sure, since I usually pass or are near Columbia when I head back to BWI from Bethesda. All of the other places I have hit before.

Next week I am going to check out the Ruddy Duck and do dinner there since I will be in that area. I did reach out to Mully's Brewery in Prince Frederick, MD. Their tasting room is not open but they said I can still swing by to pick up a six pack. So I may do that to take home with me. :)

Ruddy Duck has good food and beer. They made a schwarzbier last year that was great. The Lusby location has the brewery on site but I prefer the ambiance at the St. George Island location.

Check Scorpion Brewing to see if they are open when you drive through. They make some interesting beers too.

And finally there are several bars with good beer selection on tap in the area. The Lime Lounge at Twist has been very good lately.

I would not recommend Mully's. I bought a 6 pack of their Patuxent Pale Ale and it was terrible. I drank the first one and didn't want to drink another. My dad's friend got their IPA on tap at a local restaurant and he said it was awful too. Feel free to form your own opinion though.

Pub Dog rules, Frisco's is good if not overwhelming, The Ale House in Columbia rules, DuClaw's rules, Flying Dog rules if you feel like taking a little westward detour. I haven't tried Ruddy Duck but hear good things about it.

I'll edit if I come up with any others.

PS where in Southern Maryland are you going to be?

I would not recommend Mully's. I bought a 6 pack of their Patuxent Pale Ale and it was terrible. I drank the first one and didn't want to drink another. My dad's friend got their IPA on tap at a local restaurant and he said it was awful too. Feel free to form your own opinion though.

Pub Dog rules, Frisco's is good if not overwhelming, The Ale House in Columbia rules, DuClaw's rules, Flying Dog rules if you feel like taking a little westward detour. I haven't tried Ruddy Duck but hear good things about it.

I'll edit if I come up with any others.

PS where in Southern Maryland are you going to be?

Wow no kidding about Mully's!!! I emailed them and they were very quick to respond letting me know their tasting room is closed on Tuesdays but I can stop by if I wanted to pick up any beer.

I will be coming back from the Lexington Park area making my way to BWI to head home that evening.

I've been to Flying Dog, but their tasting room was only open Thursdays thru Sunday. I will be traveling on Tuesday the 23rd.

My next trip to the area will include a stop at Pub Dog since I am usually in the Bethesda area when I am leaving for BWI. So Columbia is not out of the way coming from Bethesda.

I wonder if I'm better off trying to get a "pick your own 6-pack" from a store and try Mully's that way instead??? Thanks for your input!

Well I never made it to Mully's due to my meeting running later than expected. I did stop at the Ruddy Duck for dinner tonight and two brews. The food was awesome!! The beer was ok nothing special or great but just ok.

Now I asked how much an empty growler was after my meal (I like to collect growlers) and the bar tender told me they were $30!!!! I could not believe it!!! Needless to say I did not buy one to add to my collection. But seriously $30 for a growler??? I couldn't believe it!!!

Now onto the Pub Dog on my next visit!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Yeah you might be better off grabbing a single of Mully's beer instead of a six pack. I still want to try some of their other beers just to see if they are all as bad. But I definitely don't want to by a 6 pack of any others!

The Patuxent pale ale tasted like my pale ales used to taste before I switched to using 100% RO water and minerals. A sort of bland yet tart, yucky flavor. I think in my case it was a mash pH problem (my tap water has very high alkalinity). Mully's brewery is not too far from my house so I wonder if they are using water from the same source and not adjusting it for the high alkalinity? Maybe their Oyster Shucker stout would taste better?

Last time I was at Pub Dog we got a growler of their Blonde Dog to take home, I think it was $5 for the growler and $15 to have it filled. That Blonde Dog was very tasty! I also had a pint of their Imperial Dog at the Maryland Craft Beer Festival over the summer and it was a great IPA, had a very dank quality that I enjoyed.

Back