Craft beer in Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopEd

Reaction score
I'm going to Cincinnati next weekend for a wedding. I'm am looking for beers that cannot be had in the Chicagoland area. Someone already told me about Yuengling. Does anyone know any other beers that I should try while there, or does anyone have experience with the following breweries?

Mt. Carmel
Listemann/Triple Digit
Christian Moerlein
Rivertown

I am really into IPAs and stouts, and since I'd be close to "Bourbon country" what really good barrel aged beers are available?

Thanks.

Mt Carmel is pretty meh, if you like nut brown ales theirs is decent, they're recently expanded to some belgian offerings which are pretty harsh.

Listerman/Triple Digit - Cincinnatus stout is a BBA Stout thats pretty good (if you like your bourbon aged stouts to be heavy on the bourbon) (its not going to really hold a candle to something like BCBS though). Its kinda overpriced though at around 7.99 per 12 oz bottle.

Moerlein's brewpubish Lager House usually has an outstanding selection of guest drafts and bottles, and their traditional lagers are pretty good, but their ales tend to miss. Nothing they do is especially adventurous though.

Rivertown is probably the best brewery in the area. Their Hop Baron IPA (finding remotely fresh bottles is key though since it tends to kind of languish on shelves) and Roebling Imperial porter are both really good brews that stack up well against other paragons of the style. If sours are your thing their Geuze (which is getting harder to find but its still possible) is really good , and their Old Sour Cherry Porter is outstanding (think of it as sort of an oud bruin in bourbon barrels). Also its about time for their yearly lambic release.

There is a new brewery in town called 50West thats draft only that does some pretty good west coast style pales and IPAs. Their taproom (I guess brewpub now that they serve food too) is worth visiting.

As far as beer not from the immediate area.

Barrel Aged Boris from Hoppin Frog (which you can get in Chicago too, but its considerably cheaper here), is usually available at most good bottle shops.

Epic's Big Bad Baptist isn't too hard to find at Jungle Jims (local independent grocery store with a huge selection of craft beer (and everything else under the sun), and is probably the best BA Stout readily available in the area.

As far as IPA's go look for Brew Kettle's White Rajah, its a really good citra driven west coast style IPA, or Fat Head Headhunter IPA. Both of these are pretty stellar.

Back