Cracked primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denverd1

Reaction score
Howdy brewers! I posted this under beginners forum, cuz I've only been brewing about a year. And I don't understand how the hell it happened. Maybe some of you seasoned brewers can shed some light on it.

My primary bucket is cracked. Center of the bucket, Inside the ring on the bottom. Started off as a small crack that was barely there, is now aprox 4" long and 1/8" wide at the middle of the crack. Like the bucket got dried out somehow. dry enough to crack the plastic.

Rinsed with sanitizer after each use. Regular old beer brewing here, nothing fancy. used for 2-3 weeks, then rinsed, cleaned and sanitized and stored upside down most of the time, right side up sometimes. I'll post a pic when I get home, but its just a crack in my bucket!!

Food grade bucket from AHS. 1 yr old. :mad: ???
How do I prevent this?

I've never heard of this happening, nor had this happen to me. Seems like this must be a manufacturing defect, and you should try to contact Forrest at AHS. He has an account here at HBT, and frequently replies to questions about product quality.

Hey Forrest.

Is this a common problem?

I noticed my shipment is headed out today. Just curious..

Denverd1

I keep cracking my lids; is this a common problem? (while we're on the subject)

They crack when I'm pulling them off and they crack vertically.

I'm glad I found this thread. I didn't know about AHS. I've been using Midwest. I shall investigate...

Props to Forrest and AHS for sending out a replacement primary bucket. That's customer service right there.

Still not sure of how this happened. I read through the resurrected PVC thread and it looks like absorption in the plastic is an issue for some grades of plastic, although it's not an issue with food grade plastic. Maybe it absorbed some wort or sanitizer, then dried out and cracked?

Anyway, thanks Forrest and AHS for getting me fixed up.

Perhaps someone should mention the obvious - you have had the bucket for an entire year. Lemmy alone knows what the actual conditions of your set up are and how the bucket was used or stored. I am not trying to be a jerk but I think Forest is getting hosed on this one. Perhaps that is why I don't own my own business.

However, I am heading over to his webpage now - you can't beat that kind of positive impression of a business!

Even if he is indeed getting hosed on one bucket, many people will see the quality customer service and buy from AHS.

Personally, I do my best to shop at the two local homebrew shops, and they are both pretty good. But if I can't find something at either one, I will definitely order from AHS. I've heard great things, and this thread is a prime example. Plus it's awesome that Forrest is a member here. Can't beat that!

Even if he is indeed getting hosed on one bucket, many people will see the quality customer service and buy from AHS.

Personally, I do my best to shop at the two local homebrew shops, and they are both pretty good. But if I can't find something at either one, I will definitely order from AHS. I've heard great things, and this thread is a prime example. Plus it's awesome that Forrest is a member here. Can't beat that!

+1

his customer service and appearances on this forum mean a lot to me personally. I shop at a local store, but i can guarentee that the second i cant find something i will be ordering from him

I am not trying to be a jerk but I think Forest is getting hosed on this one.
:confused:

I really doubt Forrest is "getting hosed" replacing an $8.00 bucket.
First off, I ordered around 10 ingredient kits from AHS in 08. He can expect me to order another 10 (give or take) this year.

Secondly, I now feel more confident in doing business with AHS, since he handled my problem no questions asked. It has definitely given me a reason to continue to do business with AHS. And post about it on this forum.

Happy customers lead to more happy customers

Whats the website for AHS? I don't have a local HBS, so I have to deal on line.. With that type of support, I'll give it a shot... I'm not married to the site I've ordered from in the past..

Whats the website for AHS? I don't have a local HBS, so I have to deal on line.. With that type of support, I'll give it a shot... I'm not married to the site I've ordered from in the past..

Austin Homebrew Supply

I've not used them before since I have a good local HBS, but I like their selection on stuff and looks to be reasonable shipping prices.

My bucket lid cracked last night too. Except mine cracked on the edge. I was using the lid remover tool and prying it off cracked it I suppose. I wasn't using that much force but it cracked nonetheless. I am going back to my brew store to see if they will replace it because this is the 2nd brew I have used the brew bucket in.

My bucket lid cracked last night too. Except mine cracked on the edge. I was using the lid remover tool and prying it off cracked it I suppose. I wasn't using that much force but it cracked nonetheless. I am going back to my brew store to see if they will replace it because this is the 2nd brew I have used the brew bucket in.

That's the exact place mine cracked. Is there a way to avoid that? My LHBS wouldn't replace it for free.

I was, however, able to melt the crack back together with a lighter. Still good seal.

Suggestions please?

That's the exact place mine cracked. Is there a way to avoid that? My LHBS wouldn't replace it for free.

I was, however, able to melt the crack back together with a lighter. Still good seal.

Suggestions please?

I am going to try and do the exact same thing. I let you know the results.

Back