Cracked Immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I left my immersion chiller in the car last winter and it cracked in a couple spots.
They're approximately 1/2 in long gashes. Is there anything I can do to save this, or is it scrap?

Thanks

What i'm saying is, given a torch, some lead-free plumber's solder, and a tube flaring kit from harbor freight tools, yes, you can repair that puppy, no problem.

but if you don't have the tools or know someone who has the tools, the tools to fix it might be close to the cost of replacement.

know anybody who does HVAC repair? he'll have everything but the lead-free solder.

Depends on where the gashes are and how good you (or a buddy) is at soldering copper. You can get the lead free solder at Home Depot or Lowe's, or most hardware stores in the country. But it might be more work than it's worth. Also, you could get more solder in the holes than you want, reducing the flow. You could try splicing pieces in to replace the splits, but that presents a whole new set of issues/problems.

IMO, I'd mark this one up as a learning experience and move on to a new chiller. Maybe it's time to go for a CFC or plate chiller... :D My vote is for a plate chiller, but that's a different thread.

You can always cut out the damaged areas and reconnect using solderless fittings - they only need a wrench to do the job. Don't know if they would reduce the flow too much, but I have used them in household projects.

I've used jb weld epoxy on my sprinkler line (copper pipe) outside and it solved huge crack in ball-valve, crack in sweated joint, water-tight now.

It's safe up to temperature, too. I wouldn't hesitate to use it and if you're worried about it you can cover it in silicone after it cures.

Latest posts

Back