Cracked airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocktonbrew

Reaction score
Twice this month I have cracked the bottom of the 3 piece airlock trying to pull the bung off. I know they are inexpensive, but I have never had this problem before. Just wondering if China has compromised their super high quality or if i'm being too rough?

Are you getting them from Austin's? If so I've had the same problem. If I get three uses before I break one I feel pretty lucky. I'm going to try to source some better ones from eBay soon.

The s shaped airlock seems to be more resistent IMHO (bought at bruhaus ebay store)

A tip that I learned when using a glass airlock is to put a drop of glycerine on the stem before inserting it into the grommet. After it has been used, you can also put a drop on the stem where it goes into the grommet and slightly wiggle the airlock to get the glycerine into the grommet. Makes it a lot easier to remove without extra force.

To remove the airlock from the bung easier, i take out the inside part and the top.
I then put the bung and lock under HOT tap water till its warm.
It will then slide out alot easier.
I got tired of breaking them and found a way :)

Thanks guys, i will try the hot water on the bung idea. I Just never broke them before and then I had two in a row. I guess my 12 oz. Curles are paying off!

Just run the hot water through the center of the airlock with the middle and top removed. maybe 30 sec to a min then run it over the bung. should come right out.
Other thing i did was start using the molded carboy stoppers.

Back