Cover Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I just bought a Better Bottle 5 gallon Carboy to rack one of my beers to for secondary (really only because I wanted to brew this weekend so I needed to empty my primary) :rockin:

Anyway, I ferment my beer in my basement...it is dark down there......BUT...should I cover the carboy with a dark towel to keep any potential light off of the beer?

Is it DARK, dark - like, no windows at all? I'd cover if you have any light coming in. I took an old towel (one my wife won't miss) and cut a 3" hole in the middle. It fits over the neck of my carboy, covering completely.

Yeah I do mine in the basement too and it only gets light if the basement light gets turned on. But I still cover it just because it cannot hurt.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the box my better bottle came in. Put it upside down over my Better Bottle; the hole is for the airlock.

Thanks for responses everyone......I really like the idea of sewing the sleeves in an old T-Shirt.....I will have to see if my wife even owns a sewing kit...hahah:)

My basement (where the fermentation takes place) is dark as the pit, unless there's a light on, which there isn't most of the time. But anything in a carboy (glass or BB) gets a heavy duty trash bag that's had a hole put in the bottom so the airlock and neck stick out. It's easy, cheap reusable, and makes it a non-issue.

Light reacts with hops... I believe it interacts with the alpha acids and "skunks" the beer with off flavors.

Hence brown bottles as the norm, btw- to protect from light- especially sunlight or flourescent light.

There's something odd about Miller's brewing process. I can't remember what was different that allows them to use clear bottles without an issue. My personal opinion is that since it already tastes bad, it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back