Couple in Georgia, new to homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
Of course, we started w/ a no boil stout kit, and last night we just put a made from extract IPA into the first stage fermenter. This is pretty fun. Our Stout ended up a little thin, we used Guiness as a benchmark, realizing we wouldn't get the head and sour taste, but we're happy enough with it. After we rack the IPA, we intend to try a Porter. We try to be as sanitary as we can, but probably not as well as we should. We're enjoying the process more than the beer at this point.
We're in a small town, about 100 miles south of Atlanta, but are lucky enough to have a couple of folks and a Home Brew store close enough for advice and ingredients.
Wish us luck!

Just poked around a little, and found I am a member of the "Pushed the grommet into the wort club" I had some grommets I use for electronics applications and was able to make one work. We'll fish it out when we change stages.

doublegun said:
Just poked around a little, and found I am a member of the "Pushed the grommet into the wort club" I had some grommets I use for electronics applications and was able to make one work. We'll fish it out when we change stages.

Welcome to HBT and welcome to the Grommet Club! I'm glad to see you've paid your dues!

Hi and welcome. I am from Avondale, just east of Atlanta. Look forward to hearing more.

Many home brew suppliers in Atlanta? We get up there about once every 6 weeks or so, hardly ever poke around, usually go somewhere very specific. Baseball game, GT theatre, airport, music store, and then head right home. Our next trip looks like it will be the High Museum, nice to combine it with something else.

doublegun said:
Many home brew suppliers in Atlanta? We get up there about once every 6 weeks or so, hardly ever poke around, usually go somewhere very specific. Baseball game, GT theatre, airport, music store, and then head right home. Our next trip looks like it will be the High Museum, nice to combine it with something else.

Unfortunately no. All (that I know of) the homebrew shops are outside the perimeter.
Here's a list:
http://www.homestead.com/beersouth/BrewShops.html#anchor_4327
I know the one in Marietta is closed. The one in Sandy Springs is the closest to me but they specialize in wine stuff and I am not too sure of the freshness of their ingredients. I have also been to the one in Lilburn, nice store they just don't carry a huge selection.

Beerrific said:
Unfortunately no. All (that I know of) the homebrew shops are outside the perimeter.
Here's a list:
http://www.homestead.com/beersouth/BrewShops.html#anchor_4327
I know the one in Marietta is closed. The one in Sandy Springs is the closest to me but they specialize in wine stuff and I am not too sure of the freshness of their ingredients. I have also been to the one in Lilburn, nice store they just don't carry a huge selection.

There is one in Fayetteville that might be easier for you. I am south of Atlanta also in Stockbridge... And Welcome!!!

Brewiz said:
There is one in Fayetteville that might be easier for you. I am south of Atlanta also in Stockbridge... And Welcome!!!

Ah yes. I hope to stop by someday. Still a bit of a drive, but if I am ever going to the airport I might drop down there. I think this store closes for all/most of June, right? Anyone know when it will be open again?

Beerrific said:
Ah yes. I hope to stop by someday. Still a bit of a drive, but if I am ever going to the airport I might drop down there. I think this store closes for all/most of June, right? Anyone know when it will be open again?

Doug of "Just Brew It" in Fayetteville is now open Thurs, Friday, and Sat. But his shop is for sale. There is a brew club on the southside "SOUTH ATLANTA HOMEBREWERS".

Here's a web site for others too.

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/homebrewclubGA.html

Welcome to the hobby and forum.:mug:

doublegun said:

I fished it out, and have been dying of curiosity if my first brew is going to be drinkable or a disaster. It went into the fermenter last saturday, and the bubbles have pretty much stopped. I figure I'll take a hydro reading on friday and saturday, and if it doesn't taste bad, and the readings are stable i'll bottle.

Thanks for the info on the Home Brew stores, I'll try to check out the one in Fayetteville, but my local guy is so damn nice and helpful, I don't know why I even asked....... IPA in the secondary, Porter to be brewed up on Mon or Tues, I hope. So, put the fermentation lock on before the lid goes on, got it.

Back