Counterflow Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Just switching from plate chiller to counter flow. For cleaning of it, I ran PBW and then clean water through it. Thinking about my brew day tomorrow and I'm wondering what's the best method to sanitize.

If I run sanitizer through it on brew day won't I have up to 25' of sanitize left in the coil when I start to push my hot wort through it?

Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Frank

If you are pumping through the counterflow (and using a high heat pump), you should just recirculate for a minute before turning on the cold water (after flameout). The end of day cleaning should have it "clean" and a minute of very hot wort should sanitize it. Then turn on cold water and fill fermentor.

EDIT: you could run your sparge water through it as well- preboil so contamination not a big concern and a half hour of 170 or higher would sanitize it well. There would obviously be a gap between sanitation and usage, but I can't imagine it would cause any problem. This way, any residue at cooling would just be an insignificant amount of clean water. Think about draining a few oz of sparge before it goes into the MLT just to make sure there isn't any cleaning residue from previous use.

I just recirculate the boiling wort threw mine for 20 mins at end of boil. No need to sanitize with chemicals.

I hook mine up and turn on the pump with 10 minutes left in the boil. I do let whatever water may be left in the chiller get pushed out onto the ground by the hot wort before recirculating back to the kettle.

Back