Counterflow Chiller Options Copper/Rubber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I am looking at my options for counter flow wort chillers.

Most of the ones that I have seen are rubber on the outside, but some are all copper. What are the pros and cons of each?

I can see where an all copper chiller might last longer than one with rubber tubing on the outside.

Thoughts?

I think you can sanitize the all copper ones in an oven. Not sure what other benefits it provides.

It does look way cooler.

Looks like Williams Brewing has an all stainless steel version that the inner wort tubing in convoluted, inside the outer tubing.

Says it insures better cooling.

One thing to keep in mind before deciding on a counterflow or plate chiller is that you really will want a pump.

It allows you to control the flow and simplifies cleaning and sanitizing.

Using a rubber garden hose on the outside cuts down on costs, and you won't burn your hand if you touch it when it's doing it's thing. But rubber does deteriorate, so obviously the copper-pipe-inside-a-copper-pipe CFC is going to last a lot longer. Performance-wise, you're probably not seeing much of a difference at all.

Using a rubber garden hose on the outside cuts down on costs, and you won't burn your hand if you touch it when it's doing it's thing. But rubber does deteriorate, so obviously the copper-pipe-inside-a-copper-pipe CFC is going to last a lot longer. Performance-wise, you're probably not seeing much of a difference at all.

I think you are right, it comes down to durability.

I am actually thinking the stainless version might be better. There would be no corrosion, like happens with copper.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I've made quite a few all copper CFCs some with 3/8" inner copper and some with 1/2" inner copper..
It can be a challenging adventure but is very doable.

DSC00446.JPG

DSC00451.JPG

Also - they are very easy to clean.

Just saying...

P-J

I've made quite a few all copper CFCs some with 3/8" inner copper and some with 1/2" inner copper..
It can be a challenging adventure but is very doable.

DSC00446.JPG

DSC00451.JPG

Also - they are very easy to clean.

Just saying...

P-J

Those are great looking! Did you wrap the inner pipe with wire to break up the laminar flow? Also, what connections did you use on those puppies?

Latest posts

Back