Counterflow chiller - clear tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
I finally got my keggle ready to go and I think its time to upgrade to a counterflow. My old immersion just doesn't sit right with the addition of the dip tube (keg conversion kit from Bobby/Brewhardware) and I've got a 60 foot coil of 1/2 copper sitting around from the HD clearance sale a while back.

I found an instructional video on YouTube where the guy uses 1/2 copper with a small copper wire spiraled around and then 3/4 inch clear pvc tubing outside. I really like the look of the clear tubing, but the stuff I was looking at at Lowes is only rated to like 170/180 degrees. I know its not coming in contact with the wort at all, but for some reason i'm still a bit nervous about exceeding that temp.

Anyone else use the clear tubing? Or anyone know how hot the hot side gets with your counterflow?

Thanks in advance!

I have regular clear tubing on the hot side. I imagine it to be in contact with +170F water/copper for about 30 seconds at the most. I've not had any problems with it and have used it about 20 times, and since it's not coming into contact with the wort at any point, I don't have any concerns on the chemical side either. It shows no signs of degradation at all.

agreed. i used a clear, reinforced, pvc tubing that's rated up to 180 and have had zero issues. be sure to provide plenty of "lube" as you slide the copper through the inside of the tube. mine got caught up a few times and turned out to be a bit of work.

Yup dump a bunch of soap and some water down the tube to lube it up..its not in contact with the wort so who cares whats in the outer hose.

Thank for the input everyone, I can't wait to get this build going. I figure I should be able to do two 25-30 foot chillers and have the second to sell of gift down the road. I wish I would got more of that copper now while it was dirt cheap.

Damn, I didn't realize how expensive the clear hose was! I strolled into Lowes and find out the 5/8 inch was like $0.49 a foot, but go up an 1/8 inch to 3/4 and it jumps to $1.79 a foot. How is that possible?
Anybody find it cheaper somewhere else?

In reality, it's irrelevant. The wort is flowing through the copper and the water goes through the clear tubing in the opposite direction. This assumes you build it right:)

There is no way the clear tubing will get anywhere near that hot since it's filled with cold water.

Sent from the Commune

In reality, it's irrelevant. The wort is flowing through the copper and the water goes through the clear tubing in the opposite direction. This assumes you build it right:)

There is no way the clear tubing will get anywhere near that hot since it's filled with cold water.

Sent from the Commune

In fact, since the wort only flows through the copper tubing why not use garden hose for the outside (water)? Much less expensive & very durable. That's how my CFC is built.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In fact, since the wort only flows through the copper tubing why not use garden hose for the outside (water)? Much less expensive & very durable. That's how my CFC is built.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1
Mine as well and it works extremely well:)

Sent from the Commune

After pricing this all out, I will definitely be going the garden hose route. I originally didn't think I'd be able to find a garden hose in 3/4in size, but I found a 75ft hose for about half the price of 30ft of clear tubing. Now I'll have enough to make two!

Back