Could I do this....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostface

Reaction score
Hello all, I am returning to home brewing after a 11 year break. I brewed my first batch last week and I have it in the primary. Checked on it today after being in the primary for 8 days. All looks, smells and tastes good after a reading. I made a Porter from a partial extract, I used Wyeast 1318. Here is the question I am going to make this same beer again and as soon as I rack to the secondary (leaving in the primary for 2 weeks) I would like to use the yeast from the current batch. I would pitch the yeast and trub immediately after I rack into the secondary. Can I pitch the fallen yeast and trub from the primary into the second batch? I don't have the means, ingredients or knowledge to culture up the yeast. Is what I want to do doable? Thanks in advance....

Very doable. Don't move the yeast, just pour the new batch right on the yeast cake. It seems a little weird putting your wort into a messy primary but it works really well. Get ready for some wild fermentation and have a blow off handy.

Welcome to HBT!

Very doable. Don't move the yeast, just pour the new batch right on the yeast cake. It seems a little weird putting your wort into a messy primary but it works really well. Get ready for some wild fermentation and have a blow off handy.

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks for the input!! All I have is a plastic primary with an airlock, I don't have a blow off so if I do this then what should I do in order to keep the pressure down?

How big is your bucket? It may be big enough if it's a 7+ gallon. If you can't rig a blow off tube, you could just leave the lid loose for a couple days (on but not pushed down). It might not completely stop the mess but it might prevent the lid from exploding. Just a thought.

Some where on HBT is a thread about rigging a blow off tube using a modified airlock and tube. Anyone remember where that thread is located?

Thanks again, it's just a 5 gallon bucket. I might have to rethink this and just buy another Yeast packet. What causes the wild fermentation? What if I just kept a small amount of the left over? Like maybe enough to fill a drinking glass, remove and sanitize the left over. Brew, pitch the wort, after it's cooled down and pitch the glass of left over? Would this work and control the fermentation because I'm starting with a smaller amount of yeast?

The wild fermentation comes from having so much yeast in there ready to start eating again. It might be better if you just used part of the yeast cake since your bucket is small for a primary. I'm surprised you didn't have an over flow with the first batch.

Whatever you do, don't waste that nice yeast. Get a scoop out and start your new beer with it but read the yeast washing thread too. You can try your hand at yeast washing with the rest of the yeast cake.

washing thread

Okay, thanks I will read the thread. I made a mistake it's a 6.5 gallon bucket, the carboy is 5 gallons....

6.5gal you should be ok. But if you have a 3piece airlock just take the top cap and the top piece off and slip your syphon hose over that and you have a blowoff tube. Or just dont snap the lid on like Nurmey said.

You should prepare yourself for blow-off no matter if you are pitching on the yeast or pitching new yeast. It's not that hard to rig up and can save you when the unexpected happens (it always happens).

Frankly, I'd rig up a piece of thick tubing that just fits the opening for the airlock, and run that into a pan or fruit juice bottle with some Star San or Vodka in it. But, if you just don't have access, then def keep the lid loose for a couple of days, although you still might get a nice bunch of stuff running down the sides if the krausen rides up high enough.

I'd not worry about sealing the bucket at all. Just stick a piece of Scotch tape over the airlock hole, sanitize the lid, and rest it loosely on the bucket.

Whether pitching fresh yeast, slurry, or knocking out onto a cake, I've never had 5 gallons do much more than stain the lid with krauesen (except once, where some foam dripped down the sides). Never have I had a contamination issue.

Like Homercidal wrote: "[...]you still might get a nice bunch of stuff running down the sides if the krausen rides up high enough." I advise sitting the fermenter on a rolled-down garbage bag in case this happens. You know, like you do for a live Xmas tree! If it blops, just wait for it to stop foaming, pick it up, and replace the trash bag.

Cheers,

Bob

Great info guys!! I just ordered my supplies and it should be here time for me to rack the first batch. One last question on the subject. Could I remove 3/4 of the cake and pour the cooled wort over the remaining 1/4 of the cake? I'm thinking this is just a bit more than a starter when it is ready to be pitched. I'm thinking a 1/4 of the cake should be somewhat under control but I will lay down the plastic and not seal the lid. Will this work?

Back