Could anyone suggest a kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboar

Reaction score
I have yet to brew my first beer and I was looking at the Coopers DIY kit. Could anyone suggest a starter kit with capabilities of growing. I was looking to brew with LME for my first time.

I've got the Cooper's Micro Brew kit,that came before that one. It gives me good service,& that course threaded lid just wont blow.
But the DIY one just slides snugly together,with no airlock. But the spigot Comes apart for easy cleaning,so that's a bonus. The pet bottles work quite well,imo. But at 25.16oz,it's def more than 1 pour,if you use 16oz glasses. But less than two.
That's why I started using 12oz glass bottles. More to bottle up,but single,one pour servings so you don't rouse the trub with a second pour.
But the ale pale sort of starter kits may be beefier than the DIY,idk. Never used the new one. A good point is to get one where the fermentation vessel has US standard & metric graduations. Makes life easier no matter where your beer kit comes from. Plus the cooper's fermenters,like the good ale pales,have both graduations printed on them. They go from 6.5G to 7.9G.

That's Ale Pale kit. They're made by Brewer's Best (the pales). You can get them in all levels of brewing kits from midwestsupplies.com. I bought one of the BB Ale pales with the drum tap for my wife,& it's great. Midwest uses Fed-Ex too,& they're pretty quick. They have different levels of beginner kits,depending on what you may already have. You can get them with cases of bottles,brew kettles,cappers,wort chillers,etc. Take a look & see if that's what you may like.

I like this one, the basic starter kit from northern brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html

That's all the equipment you need, except for a pot to boil the wort, and the bottles you'll need. It's $79.99. You can also pick up the "ingredients kit" to make the kind of beer you'd like. They have quite a few of them on the list- but I'd probably choose the "Caribou Slobber" as a darker colored beer might help hide some mistakes well, if you like brown ales.

I got a buddy of mine a Northern Brewer starter kit as a wedding present one time. It probably lasted longer than the wife did. ;)

+1 to Northern brewer kits. I got the deluxe starter kit and one of their extract recipe kits. Both were absolutely top notch, and the recipe kits are less expensive than other places. Everyone's starter equipment kit is going to include (mostly) the same stuff and cost about the same. I liked the exact combo of what NB included with their deluxe kit, and loved their recipe kits.

Northern brewer offers $7.99 shipping. Midwest kills me with the shipping and it's always in a huge box with a lot of filler. I use both but prefer NB

I bought the newly designed coopers microbrew kit, and while it's a good product, I'm now kind of wishing I had gone with one of the complete starter kits for the same amount of money.

I also second Caribou Slobber!

Back