Could a few fizzers be a sign of risk of Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adammc44

Reaction score
Hi all, my first go at brewing in about 5 years. Also only the 2nd time I had tried all grain (the first didn't go well, beer was very inconsistently carbonated, but hey stuck in the house let's try again).

Did 2 beers, both stouts, difference is added a fruit (Corozo, grows here in Colombia, something like a cross between a grape and a cherry) to one and coffee to another. Bottled after 2 weeks with next to no activity in the fermenters for several days. I'm on the Caribbean coast and do not have central a/c, room with fermentation and conditioning probably normally at about 80 F, cooler in the day when we are running A/C.

Put in 150g of brown sugar when bottling. Been a month plus a day since bottling, tried some at 2 weeks, was fine, got better. Had a buddy over Friday and we had 12 or so, all fine. Today, just after taking 6 down to my neighbors, I popped one that about half gushed when opened. Popped the other one that's cold and a bit of foaming over but not the same.

Now, these probably have had about 24 hours in the fridge, so maybe it's just that and/or combo of bad luck. But since I did give some away to my neighbors today that I also stuck in the fridge yesterday, is there any possibility bottles could actually blow? Like broken, projectile glass?

Also, the bottles still sitting, any chance they could blow? Or after a month am I past that likely happening, especially considering the warm temps, and sticking to 48 hours+ in the fridge to avoid this my solution?

Many thanks.

Few questions that may help others:

1. How many volumes of carbonation were you going for?

2. When was the fruit added? During or after primary?

3. Was the gusher limited to only 1 type?

4. What method did you use to add your priming sugar?

5. Did you have any bottles that appeared undercarbed?

Side note: 150g issounds like alot unless you were shooting for 2.5-2.7 vol. most stouts are usually in the 1.8-2.3 range. Sounds like you may have not mixed the priming solution well enough.

Hey,

1. Honestly, didn't put enough thought into this. Looking around, most suggested 150g of table sugar/brown sugar (no corn sugar to be found here). I do think the beers are slightly over carbonated, but not crazy.

2. Fruit was added at the tail end of the boil after having been boiled and steeped. Mashed with pulp and pits strained when adding into the primary.

3. Yes, were both the one with the fruit. Had 2 of the coffee ones today as well, and they were both fine.

4. Boiled the sugar in a bit of water (1-2 cups, not 100% sure), added while racking into a bottling bucket.

5. Thus far no I have not noticed any under carbed.

Really what I'm debating is, should I run downstairs and tell my neighbors, don't open that beer it could take your eye out? Or maybe just say, he if it foams up a lot when you open give it another day or two in the fridge. My inclination is the latter but reading up on bottle bombs has me a bit nervous.

So, just popped a few more to test that have been in the fridge only a few hours. One fizzed up a bit, another not a tiny bit in the bottle but didn't overflow the top, and the other beer, fine. Am going to have to see after longer times in teh fridge is it still happens.

So, I guess my big question is, after a month in the bottles, are these likely to carbonate even more, and if so does that increase the risk of bottle bombs?

Personally I think you should be fine. I would let the neighbors know to keep them cold and open them over the sink just in case. The amount of sugar you used still seems high but not crazy for the temps your talking about. Depending on the yeast you used, it may continue to chew through more complex sugars while at room temps. You should be fine. If it was me I would store them in a plastic tote to be on the safe side.

Ok thanks. Yea let them know. Will keep in mind the note on the sugar. Looking around today, I'm seeing some that yea suggests that but the priming calculators do suggest it might be a bit much for a stout as well as I probably ended up with something like 4.7 gallons. Appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I was hoping the be pleasantly surprised by the beers, which I have been. Haha, actually I tired an IPA too, using a cooler for the mash, handle broke off when lifting it and went all over the kitchen....glad I ended up with drinkable beer, it's tough to get the stuff here. If I decide to do another round will be better with proper hydrometer readings and the like.

Back