Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers! Kegged this one last week. Second time around on this recipe. I used triple the black pepper and a bunch of sage from the garden. Awesome! Finished down to 1.000.

1410920562304.jpg

I don't have any pics, but I have two kegs of this on right now. I brewed 10 gallons and split the batch with 3711 and 3724. The 3711 is almost gone, and the 3724 is just a week in to the keg. The 3711 sat in primary for a month, and the 3724 took a couple months to finish.

I really like both of these brews, but I actually like the 3724 a little better. I will say that 3724 is a finicky yeast. It stalled at 1.030 and then I moved it out of the ferm chamber in to a closet and it started back up a week or two after it stalled. I let it ride til it got to 1.008, and then I kegged it. It seems strange, but the 3711 seems like it's sweeter to me even though it attenuated all the way to 1.000. The 3724 has that really funky saison flavor that I love but some people don't like as much. The SWMBO likes the 3711 better. To each his own I guess :).

Thanks a lot for this recipe, I absolutely love it, and I think I will repeat it with some Saison yeasts from the Yeast Bay. I have a vial of their Saison/Brett blend sitting in the fridge right now that I think I will use with it. Definitely going to use 2-row pale instead of pilsen this next time around to try and lower the costs. I spent $80 on a ten gallon batch of this! Definitely worth it though! Cheers! :mug:

Got this fermenting right now. Its been only a few days but the fermentation seemed to stop. Gonna take a reading today to see if i need to move it into somewhere warmer.

I cracked a bottle last night (after promising myself it would be saved for special occasions...forgive me azcoob for I have sinned :D) and this stuff just gets better and better. There seems to be a lot more to it now than what I remember a few months ago.
One more bottle left. This time I'll seriously save it for a super special occasion. Honest.

I cracked a bottle last night (after promising myself it would be saved for special occasions...forgive me azcoob for I have sinned :D) and this stuff just gets better and better. There seems to be a lot more to it now than what I remember a few months ago.
One more bottle left. This time I'll seriously save it for a super special occasion. Honest.

Only one bottle left? You should have brewed more months ago!! :D

So i checked my FG and its stuck at 1.035. Typical for Wyeast 3724. i was hoping it wouldn't get stuck but it did. Moved it into the garage where it gets hot but weather hasn't been so bad lately so i hope its warm enough in there.

So i checked my FG and its stuck at 1.035. Typical for Wyeast 3724. i was hoping it wouldn't get stuck but it did. Moved it into the garage where it gets hot but weather hasn't been so bad lately so i hope its warm enough in there.

What's the temp in your garage?
You might consider an interior closet.
Also, 3724 stuck on me once so I re-pitched w/ T-58.
Add a tbs of orange juice to the yeast just before you pitch. You'll be amazed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's the temp in your garage?
You might consider an interior closet.
Also, 3724 stuck on me once so I re-pitched w/ T-58.
Add a tbs of orange juice to the yeast just before you pitch. You'll be amazed !!

Well, right now its 80F but might be cooler since its night. I can get it as high as i want if i use my fermentation chamber but im currently cold crashing an irish red in there and im brewing a dead guy clone tomorrow and going to ferment in there at 60F with pacman yeast. if its not done by the time the dead guy is done then ill throw it in there and put the temp to 90ish and give it a swirl. I was hoping i didnt need the fermentation chamber for a saison. ive read people going 6+ weeks with this yeast to get it to ferment dry. If i cant get it to finish then ill repitch with notty. i really want to finish this beer with only the saison yeast though

Mine stalled and then started up again a couple weeks later. I moved it to a closet inside my house and temps were in the mid 70s. I'm sure me moving it helped too since I most likely sloshed it around a bit. 3724 is a finicky yeast but the end results are worth it! Good luck!

Anyone try making this with Pumpkin spice (or something similar) instead of the black pepper?

Opened up a bottle of this that I'd brewed last April... It's really getting heavenly good. I think I'll make it again next April, again with Belle Saison yeast.

Brewed on 9/1 bottles on 9/21. Sampled yesterday, overshot my carbonation a bit do to using cane sugar. I couldn't find Sorachi hops, went with Fuggles I think (need to do more documentation apparently)! I added a whole ounce at FWH, and mine has a noticeable bight in the beginning. Even with my rookie mistakes, this is my best beer brewed to date! In two weeks, I'll post pics proudly! Thanks for the recipe, and thanks to HBT community for all the support for us new brewers!

Checked my FG and its at 1.030. Threw it into my ferment chamber which just freed up and set it to 90*F. I will get this to ferment all the way!

I'm going to brew a batch of this soon, I figure I might as well get one in before things freeze over here, going to be on the holiday table this season!

Dang! It had better!

My gravity is now at like 1.010. At 90+ for 10 days and its still not done. :(

I wish i picked up some 3711 at the HBS last time i was there to finish this beer.

Its getting pulled from the ferment chamber tomorrow to make room for a pumpkin ale and a kolsch.

BTW that saison smell from the fermentor is soooo nice.

Bad news: I couldn't find/didn't buy enough specialty malt for mylifeisandy's Peppermint Stout

Good news: I just started the boil on this :D

Better news: Just kidding, it doesn't get better than this.

I took 1st place in a local brew club (CASK) belgian competition with this recipe. It aged for 6 months before the competition, the black pepper has mellowed considerably. I used centennial instead of sorachi due to supplies at my lhbs. It worked out well, I only have 3 bombers left, so brewed up another batch last week. great recipe, thanks.

I took 1st place in a local brew club (CASK) belgian competition with this recipe. It aged for 6 months before the competition, the black pepper has mellowed considerably. I used centennial instead of sorachi due to supplies at my lhbs. It worked out well, I only have 3 bombers left, so brewed up another batch last week. great recipe, thanks.

Congrats on the gold medal finish!!

It gives me great pleasure to have a recipe like this that so many people enjoy, never thought it would take off like this!

I'm very excited about this recipe, it will be the first brew in my new kettle and mash fun setup next week. I'll report back!

I've used both and they were both great! The belle yeast I fermented hot around 85 and it did very well. This time of year though, getting those temps might be hard. But yes, the Belle Saison yeast does very well with this beer..

Take pics during your brew day, I'd love to see your setup. :ban:

Will do! I've been All-Grain for a while, but it's always been BIAB. Using a cooler/mash tun is new for me. So this should be quite exciting. It's also going to be the first time i won't have to modify a recipe for my setup. I'll be trying it exactly as written.

Pics to come!:tank:

Would this recipe do well with the Belles Saison from Danstar? For me it's easier to come by than the Wyeast.

I've also done this w/ Belle Saison & WY3711. I let the temp rise over the first few days then let it stay in the mid 80's. Both worked very well. Give it plenty of time to finish up.

This is a crazy long thread so I have not had a chance to read through it all. What I have read makes it sound like a great recipe. I found this while looking for a good base recipe from which to do a smoked saison. I am thinking I would smoke about 10% of the base malk and sub in some citra for a portion of the hops. Any feedback?

I think the smoked malt idea is fantastic, I'm not a fan of citra so I wouldn't do it personally but if you like the hop, give it a shot!!!!!

Are you going to smoke your own grain? I do that myself, what wood will you use??

Got to brew yesterday. Sadly the cooler never arrived so I hooked up a bazooka screen to my kettle valve and put a big BIAB bag in the kettle and mashed in the kettle.
Did a quick transfer to a bucket, cleaned out the kettle and then did the boil in the same vessel. Wasn't an ideal setup but I managed to hit the mash temps nearly perfectly keeping between 146 and 150 for the full hour. I had to use a few other pots to act as hot liquor tanks, but it worked out nicely.

Slightly different hop choice. I switched the 30 min fuggle for sorachi because I love the flavour so much. The FWH smelled almost buttery by 30 mins before the second addition. I hadn't expected that, any idea why?

My OG. Was 1.060 but that was with a temperature correction calculator. So it could be a little higher or lower. I'll have to draw a sample of the now chilled wort and get a room temperature reading. All in all a very successful brew day! Thank you for the recipe, I can't wait to taste the beer!

View attachment 1419249873256.jpg

View attachment 1419249894473.jpg

View attachment 1419250056748.jpg

View attachment 1419250074839.jpg

View attachment 1419250126727.jpg

View attachment 1419250221021.jpg

View attachment 1419250436483.jpg

Tomorrow is bottling day. I'm looking forward to seeing what the FG is. This smells absolutely perfect, got that saison funkiness to it. I added the yeast a little hot to stress them a wee bit more, seems to have worked nicely.

Brewed this up the other day, hit the numbers nicely. I smoked the wheat portion with a combo of apple and alder. Yeast is from a local craft brewery (Driftwood) that does saison. I scaled it up to a 15 gal batch so in the fullness of time I will report back on the smokiness.

Brewed this up the other day, hit the numbers nicely. I smoked the wheat portion with a combo of apple and alder. Yeast is from a local craft brewery (Driftwood) that does saison. I scaled it up to a 15 gal batch so in the fullness of time I will report back on the smokiness.

I am a little jealous of your 15 gal size. This is my first batch of it and the beer prior to bottling actually tastes wonderful. This is easily the best beer I've brewed. Thank you for the recipe. My terminal gravity was 1.002 for 7.61% ABV. And 97% apparent attenuation. The colour lighted up a bit from the brew day to make a caramel golden beverage. My addition of the extra late Sorachi addition worked perfectly to give me the aroma I was looking for. Though I didn't quite get the full flavour of the sorachi. I may dry hop this one next time for a change.

While my OG was just a tad low due to having only a mild boil, it just meant I had a couple more bottles of this great brew.

Again, thank you for this recipe, it already tastes great, I can't wait for the final product carbed and chilled.

View attachment 1420154367161.jpg

View attachment 1420154403111.jpg

Rang in the new year today by brewing a batch of this. I did make some changes, some out of necessity, some out of preference, and some out of sloppy brewing habits :D

I subbed the Fuggle and Sorachi FWH additions with Motueka (same amounts), used closer to 1.5 lbs of clover honey, and added the orange peel from roughly two oranges @ 5 mins.

Just pitched some washed 3711 a few minutes ago. Came in at 1056 @ 5.5 gallons.

I stupidly waited until after my first batch was gone before I brewed the third. Not making that same mistake again :mug:

Back