Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to brewing this recipe. I've been drooling over it for awhile now. I pretty much followed the original recipe, substituting local wildflower honey for the orange blossom.

The cherry trees in the neighbourhood went crazy with fruit at about 1 week into fermentation. While standing on the ladder picking I started to wonder how a cherry saison would turn out. I crushed 2lbs of fruit and racked 1.5 gallons of the wort onto it at the two week mark. Both the original and the cherry worts finished at 1.004. The cherry will be higher in alcohol though, I didn't take an OG to figure it out.

You can see by the picture below that the colour changed a fair bit as well. Both samples are tasty. The cherry one reminds me a lot of whiskey, sour and a bit woody. Not in a bad way though. Anyway, thanks for the recipe, I'm looking forward to drinking it in a few weeks.

IMG_0288.jpg

Recipe looks fantastic so I'm going for it as my first Saison with one change. I'm going to add the honey at high krausen instead into the boil to see if I can maintain a little more of the flavor in the final product.

Has anyone tried this and did it work? Or is the amount of honey in the recipe such a small amount that the flavor won't really come through either way?

Recipe looks fantastic so I'm going for it as my first Saison with one change. I'm going to add the honey at high krausen instead into the boil to see if I can maintain a little more of the flavor in the final product.

Has anyone tried this and did it work? Or is the amount of honey in the recipe such a small amount that the flavor won't really come through either way?

I usually use Amber Belgian Candi liquid instead of honey. I'm on my fourth batch & it's great. This is the first time I've made it w/ Danstar Belle Saison. Also out my freshly cracked peppercorns in secondary. Forgot them in the boil. Taste is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled mine yesterday. Hydro sample tasted great. Might enter it into an upcoming BJCP comp. Will post results if I do!

is the recipe on the first post still current? have only read about half the thread, but it seems the honey ferments out totally and only adds abv. honey is far more expensive here than dextrose, if I were to sub the honey for dextrose and say, 200g honey malt would it make a big difference?

is the recipe on the first post still current? have only read about half the thread, but it seems the honey ferments out totally and only adds abv. honey is far more expensive here than dextrose, if I were to sub the honey for dextrose and say, 200g honey malt would it make a big difference?

The orange blossom honey supposedly adds a bit of citrus flavor too, but I'm not experienced enough with it to be able to tell the difference yet. You may want to add some orange zest late in the boil to compensate. Either way, I'm sure the beer will be really good.

I love this beer! It's all carbed up and on tap...the Belgian 3724 is still finishing though. Thinking I'm going to repeat this recipe but with the saison blend from The Yeast Bay.

:off:
Slightly off topic, but I just had to share, I experienced Christmas in August today...
I was bottling a caramel apple cider today and when looking for empty bottles came across two, count 'em TWO bottles of this stuff I bottled way back in May (which just so happened to be an award winning batch :D:D:D:D).
One went in the fridge for consumption on Friday, the other will be tucked away until the next batch of this stuff gets brewed.

I just tried the session strength version and it's early days but it tastes pretty good. It needs more body but it's not been in the bottle long so it should gain that with time.

I'd like to try getting that strength with just malt and no honey to see how it compares.

Just bottled this after about 32 days on the yeast. I did Session version (OG 1.042 FG 1.002) and even a flat sample tasted really good. Turns out this will be for a wedding come September so they're all bottled in bombers and waiting to go. Happy I can provide it as a gift, though a bit sad I won't be drinking much of it. Will have to do another batch of this asap (thinking with a pumpkin/spice addition for Thanksgiving).

so I'm thinking of subbing the honey for 230g (1/2 lb) of honey malt and 1.5 lb dextrose and 1 orange of zest say 5 mins left in the boil. works?

One thing I did notice was that it somehow doesn't suit 500ml bottles. You don't get the same massive head from a pint glass as you do with a tulip. I'll go back to smaller bottles next time I do a session strength version and also possibly give this sachet of Belle Saison a go to see how it performs.

So I've been wanting to brew a saison for a while, found this recipe last week and decided to go for it! I brewed my batch yesterday evening, did pretty much the exact same recipe but scaled down to 4 gal...and used tettnang hops that I had leftover from a previous batch and also used some sorachi in the later hop additions to impart more of that lemongrass flavor to it.
Woke up this morning and it was fermenting vigorously, I'm very excited for this batch to be done so I can taste! I'm thinking if this one goes well I might try it again with some brett or racking on fruit.

So I've been wanting to brew a saison for a while, found this recipe last week and decided to go for it! I brewed my batch yesterday evening, did pretty much the exact same recipe but scaled down to 4 gal...and used tettnang hops that I had leftover from a previous batch and also used some sorachi in the later hop additions to impart more of that lemongrass flavor to it.
Woke up this morning and it was fermenting vigorously, I'm very excited for this batch to be done so I can taste! I'm thinking if this one goes well I might try it again with some brett or racking on fruit.

I'm liking the fruit idea, what were you thinking of using?

made this today with the honey malt and dextrose, hit 1062 og. lhsb also didn't have the hops available so sub'd in and bittered with magnum and citra. won't be the same as original recipe but I'm hoping the citrus compliments the yeast phenols, also pitched only a smack pack of 3711 to stress them a bit more. the gravity sample was SUPER peppery, like smacked you in the face with pepper, and I only used 1 tsp. hoping it mellows after fermentation a bit.

I'm liking the fruit idea, what were you thinking of using?

I was thinking racking onto crushed or dried cherries, or maybe raspberries or strawberries. I'd need to do a bit more research on how much would be suitable for the flavor to come through without overpowering the beer.

I was thinking racking onto crushed or dried cherries, or maybe raspberries or strawberries. I'd need to do a bit more research on how much would be suitable for the flavor to come through without overpowering the beer.

As I have brewed this recipe before, and I do have a bias against raspberry and strawberry beers, I would go for cherries or... IMHO peaches would be the better bet. Maybe even pears. Pears may compliment the pepper better than either. If I were to make it with cherries or peaches I would omit the pepper entirely. My $0.02

I like the pear idea!

How about halving them, giving em a few minutes on the grill to caramelize a bit, let cool, mush em up and rack onto them?

I like the pear idea!

How about halving them, giving em a few minutes on the grill to caramelize a bit, let cool, mush em up and rack onto them?

That sounds like a winner. I think gas would be the way to go though. I made pizza on my charcoal grill with apple wood a couple weeks ago and the smoke was overpowering. I dont know if mushing them would be entirely necessary, but if using a carboy for secondary I suppose it would make getting them in/out much easier.

Gas would be easiest too, make a few extras to go along the chops you put on the grill after making the pears for your beer! I like grilled stone fruit or pears as a side to go with pork roast, grilled chops, etc.

Serve with a tulip of saison and dinner is served!

Cracked the first one a few days ago, really tastes great! Great Saison, way better than any store boughts I've had :mug: Glad I washed this yeast, will be brewing this again, they go down so well. I didn't use orange blossom honey, couldn't find it, used local stuff, so might try some orange rind next time.

Last year I two versions of this, one with Brett and one with plums from my backyard (cherry plums). Both we're awesome! I still have some of the Brett version around and it's still improving.

I think I added 18oz of plums (weighed with pits, but pitted before adding to the beer) to one gallon of beer. The fruit flavor was spot on in my opinion.

As I have brewed this recipe before, and I do have a bias against raspberry and strawberry beers, I would go for cherries or... IMHO peaches would be the better bet. Maybe even pears. Pears may compliment the pepper better than either. If I were to make it with cherries or peaches I would omit the pepper entirely. My $0.02

Pear definitely sounds like a great option...I will have to consider that! They definitely would compliment the pepper more than the other fruits I mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

Last year I two versions of this, one with Brett and one with plums from my backyard (cherry plums). Both we're awesome! I still have some of the Brett version around and it's still improving.

I think I added 18oz of plums (weighed with pits, but pitted before adding to the beer) to one gallon of beer. The fruit flavor was spot on in my opinion.

Right on! That sounds delicious. I wonder if you used brett AND racked onto plums, might make for a good combo right there!

Right on! That sounds delicious. I wonder if you used brett AND racked onto plums, might make for a good combo right there!

Most definitely. I wanted to do that with this years plum harvest, but I opted to make some plum wine. Next year for sure.

despite only pitching a single smack pack of 3711, it took it from 1062 to 1006 in only 7 days!! pepper taste faded into the background and some light citrus is up front. taste a bit of sulphury? flavours that I hope will fade in the next week or two. first time with 3711, it's a beast! underpitched and still took it down in a week!

The sulphur should definitely fade, I've noted the smell during fermentation, but it is gone by the time I keg it.

Let it sit a bit longer, it should drop to 1.003 or so even with just the smack pack.

How long does this take to bottle carb? I bottled mine 2 weeks ago and wanna bring some to a friend's house tomorrow. I normally give my beers at least 3 weeks but am hoping that 3711 might be a little faster...

I've only keg conditioned the batches I've made but I've given them at least two weeks then cold crashed for 48 hours before serving. I've used 3711, Ardennes, & Belle Saison.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How long does this take to bottle carb? I bottled mine 2 weeks ago and wanna bring some to a friend's house tomorrow. I normally give my beers at least 3 weeks but am hoping that 3711 might be a little faster...

Mine only took 2 weeks

Hey folk s. I was wondering if this is one of those recipes that can be cut directly in half for 2.5 gallon batch?

Latest posts

Back