Cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to consider is "How am I going to heat/boil 3-7 gallons of liquid?" If you are limited to stove top is it gas or electric? Are the burners close enough to use 2 burners under a single pot?

Great point. It's much cheaper to start in the kitchen, and you can get a 22 quart stainless stock pot at WalMart for $59. Play with the starter kits and add water to your finished wort to get your volume up to 5 gallons in your fermenter.

You will likely find a use for that 22 quart pot if you decide to step up to a large brew kettle and burner (just for heating additional water if you go all grain, or using it to sterilize mason jars if you start culturing yeast, or use it indoors to experiment with 1-2 gallon batches which I think is a lot of fun).

You can start very affordably before you decide to jump in and buy the bigger equipment as long as you can heat 3 gallons of water on your stove.

If your asking could you buy cheaper then you can brew, you have to compare apples to apples. You can go buy Budweiser cheaper then you can brew a like for, but I can brew good Nut Brow Ale cheaper then say a case of Sammy Smith. However if the primary goal is to save $$, you might be disappointed.

If your asking could you buy cheaper then you can brew, you have to compare apples to apples. You can go buy Budweiser cheaper then you can brew a like for, but I can brew good Nut Brow Ale cheaper then say a case of Sammy Smith. However if the primary goal is to save $$, you might be disappointed.

This. It's a hell of a lot cheaper if you want to drink good beer and you enjoy making it yourself, it's not worth the time or effort if you are just looking for a cheap buzz.

LOL. I read a quote on here somewhere that said "Getting into brewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish"

LOL. I read a quote on here somewhere that said "Getting into brewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish"

Very true...but some people try. I enjoyed the post from the guy who brewed 5 gallons for $7.00

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/7-brew-368716/

This hobby reminds me of my friends who golf and have to purchase the latest and greatest clubs. Can they golf a great game with a basic set of clubs, yes? Do the latest gadgets really improve their game??? Not really. But it makes them happy....so I say go for it.

Love that quote... man that is almost female-ish logic... Oh its on sale so I'll by more... and go broke saving money!

I don't care much for cost of buzz, I was looking for a cost of doing this hobby that is all. Of course I could go buy a 6 pack of "water" beer and be happy but I really want to make my own.

Well,the boat can save you money on fish in the long run. Here on Lake Erie anyway. The American side is grossly overfished,so you have to go out to this string of old tire reefs we paid to have made out our old tires. The army core of engineers gets a real workout inn these parts. Schools of yellow & white pearch,& white bass are generally out on those reefs,about a mile. cheaper to catch a crap ton than by at,like walleye,$16/lb.
And that 20-22QT kettle can easilly do partial boil,partial mash biab,which I do in my 20 QT (5G). The 16QT (4G) is great for a HLT. And my aftermarket elec burners heat up way faster to boot.

Back