Cost to refurb ball lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
I was just talking with SWMBOs brother, who used to brew before he had kids.I told him I was getting into brewing, and eventually I want to get into kegging. He told me me he had 2 ball lock kegs in the basement.... Bought them put a batch in one, it had a leak and never carbed right.... Never used them again.... Told me he would give them to me when I was ready.... Is it difficult to refurb and replace all the gaskets/o rings?
He also offered me 2 cases of grolsch bottles, and a case of straub pounder bottles.....talk about a score!

If you can turn a wrench, you can refurb them. You can get kits with all of the o-rings, too, for a couple of bucks. You'll want to stock up on the post o-rings. I got a bunch of silicone post o-rings on Amazon for dirt cheap a while back. McMaster Carr has them, too.

The post o-rings (2 each post, one outside and one inside) are cheap and easy. The big o-ring around the opening is a few bucks, and often won't seal without some keg lube (but this is generally readily apparent and easily rectified). The poppets are a pain. There's probably half a dozen varieties, depending on exactly the mfg/model of your keg, and it can be hard to figure out the right one (and if the keg's been around the block a few times, there's decent chance that what's in there is wrong). And depending on the style, I've seen some LHBS's wanting up to $10 a piece (at 2 per keg). But I've had pretty good luck with the "universal" poppets you can find for $3 or so on ebay.

So for less than $15 and 15 minutes per keg, you should be set. Go for it. You certainly won't miss bottling!

I have seen the refurb o ring kets for under 10 bucks... now if you need to start replacing other parts that does start getting expensive.

I would be willing to bet the post o-rings were the reason he didn't get a good seal. Also, some kegs "want" you to put 30PSI in them to seat the lid o-ring. I always do that anyway, then gently pull the relief valve in short bursts to get the O2 out of there. I bet if you replaced the post o-rings you'd have a good seal.

I haven't even bottled my first batch yet.... So I'm gonna give it a couple months....but ill definitely take him up on it.

Plus. .... When you fix it you can enjoy another satisfaction.

Not only did you learn how to make that beer delicious, but you also learned and made the vessel function!

What a hobby this home brewing is!

Back