Cost Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall the last time I tried to calculate the cost of a beer it was a little under a dollar but I've bought a few pieces of equipment and more ingredients so it's probably a little higher now. I do a good job of maximizing cost efficiency when it makes sense, I buy in bulk, yeast wash, etc. I don't make a lot of hoppy beers or use 18 different specialty grains in my brews so that prevents the costs of batches from skyrocketing. I don't have a lot of fancy equipment. I was able to get a fermentation chamber for $40 through craigslist. My turkey fryer, propane tank and johnson control were all free. So that helped a lot. If I had the cash to own the system I wanted and keg I would definitely be in the same boat as everybody else. I don't brew to save money but I don't see a reason to be wasteful when I can. (With $130k in student loans it's hard to justify wasting money.)

I just ran some numbers along these lines, and figured out that my average variable cost of production (grains, hops, yeast, fuel, etc) ran about .74 per 12 oz. bottle for all beers, while my average total cost of production (including equipment) over the next year will be around 1.90 per bottle, as I'm going to be building a three-tier brew stand and buying some new pots, &c. Convinced SWMBO to go for it by showing her that at 17 batches/yr. I'll cover costs in about two years, after which I'll be in the black.

Just kidding, by then I'm sure I'll be scheming about buying more stuff.

For those who have been doing this for a decade or more, what's the consensus? Are you saving money compared with buying store-bought, including all the money you've sunk in equipment, fuel, etc.? I get the argument that it's a hobby, you don't do it to save money, etc., but just curious if the financials come out in our favor as well, over a long enough time horizon?

I just made a 10 gallon batch of stout for $45 and it should last me about a month to a month and a half. At $.56 a pint I feel that is a smoking deal! If I buy bottles (I keg) then I figure that they will last over the course of five brews, so add $.10 and you get around $.75 a bottle. Still less than all of the craft breweries around me. A sixer of Pliny will cost me near $20 or a growler for the same.

Greetings to another local guy. I get most of my bottles free from friends, or craft beer I tried.. My problem is I keg so I don't need nearly as many bottles as I have, and I'm about to recycle another 3 sixers worth of 12oz bottles which will still leave me with 2 cases of empties.

Anytime I can keep my per pint cost under $1 I'm happy. By buying hops in bulk and washing yeast I'm able to do my cheapest beers like BM's Centennial blonde for $.36 a pint and an IPA for $.60 a pint. If I factored in all the equipment though I bet the "cost" of each batch would go up by 10 bucks easy over the life of the equipment.

I think I likely have more good commercial craft beer on hand now, than I did before I started brewing. I really enjoy the beer I brew, but that doesn't stop me from usually having 3-4 Lost Abby bottles and at least 2 Pliny's in the beer fridge at any given time. :D

Edit: I didn't realize that portion of the thread I was responding to was so old.

I wiped up a spread sheet that can put together a cost analysis if your interested. Its basic, but makes it a little more simple to figure out your costs. I guess one thing that I figure is that although I would like to see my cost LESS than store bought, I do have fun brewing - and being a hobby, it inherently costs some money. So, if for any given brew day, I spend $10-$20 it doesnt really matter what my final cost per bottle was because I would have spent that money occupying my time in some other way. (but now I have beer to look forward to!)

So technically, you could say that your homebrew was "free"

(PM me if you would like to see the spreadsheet, HBT wont let me upload files that aren't pictures)

I have to say that I am enjoying this string.

You know, it's funny how it really gets my attention to pay $7 or $8 for a six pack of good craft brew, but the $25 I spend on brew day for ingredients is just part of the cost of having fun doing somthing (brewing beer).

The finished homebrew that I get is just a bonus!

I agree. I liked going to bevmo and buying individual bottles to try out different craft brews. As I tried different things I typically ended up paying 3-4 dollars for a 22oz bottle if not more so. Chimay Grande Reserve I think was closer to $10.

So in reality, ingredients and the like are cheap. With my basic "starter" type equipment mostly buckets, etc I'm at about $4 per bottle including everything. Next batch that is going to go down drastically to under $2 per bottle, and settle out from there.

At this moment I don't have delusions of graduer with huge setups and the like, I think its a fun hobby to mix in with all the other ones I like. My muscle car, golf... beer compliments those well!

Whatever cost you come up with, divide by two and report back to her.
Make sure and confuse her with all the different beer styles and the varied cost, seasonal availability of hops, propane costs fluctuating and anything else you can think of.
Just don't give her anything that can be used against you later.
She WILL remember those parts.

Latest posts

Back