Correct term for female brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ballooning community went through this process. Traditionally, the person (historically male) who is in charge of balloon launches at balloon rallies is call the "Balloonmeister". This term came from "Burgermeister". the title of a city mayor in Germany. As women got more involved they were called the Balloonmeistrine, Some ladies objected and thought that the title Balloonmeister should be generic for both sexes. But lately, I have seen a resurgence of ladies preferring to use the title Balloonmeistrine to make it known that a woman is in charge.

Therefore, I propose the title: Brewmeistrine or Beermeistrine.

You guys are lucky your swmbo's help in the brewery. All mine does is tell me what kind of beer she wants me to brew and then drinks them....I guess that's better than nothing.

Seriously. No one is talking about remaining in an emotionally abusive relationship or somesuch. It's just a joke.

An old literary joke, from H. Rider Haggard (the same author who wrote King Solomon's Mines)
We had, however, been seen dragging the boat up the canal, and he told us frankly that he had at once given orders for our destruction, seeing that it was unlawful for any stranger to enter here, when a message had come from `She-who-must-be-obeyed,' saying that our lives were to be spared, and that we were to be brought hither.
`Pardon me, my father,' I interrupted at this point; `but if, as I understand, "She-who-must-be-obeyed" lives yet farther off, how could she have known of our approach?'
Billali turned, and seeing that we were alone-for the young lady, Ustane, had withdrawn when he had begun to speak-said, with a curious little laugh--
`Are there none in your land who can see without eyes and hear without ears? Ask no questions; She knew.'
I shrugged my shoulders at this, and he proceeded to say that no further instructions had been received on the subject of our disposal, and this being so he was about to start to interview `She-who-must-be- obeyed,' generally spoken of, for the sake of brevity, as `Hiya' or She simply, who he gave us to understand was the Queen of the Amahagger, and learn her wishes.
H. Rider Haggard, She, 1887
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/40/79/16987/1/frameset.html

The British sitcom Rumpole of the Bailey picked it up as an amusing phrase used to refer to one's wife, from whence it entered the vernacular.

My wife likes to help and she refers to herself as the brewery rat. I think we got that from the wine making we do and she calls herself the celler rat in that case.

I think if she was doing a batch on her own it would be different.

Brewslut. A strange form of foreplay, but it works.

I like the way you think next brewday I'll give it try

Haha, let me know how that works out for you.....

I wish my girl would be more enthusiastic about my brewing, She really only will come over to help if i ask her. So far, really only to pour in extract while i stir (or visa versa)... Maybe she'll enjoy it more when i upgrade to AG.

The time's she DOES help me though she has jokingly referred to herself as Brew-*****.... (it's ok as long as I didnt come up with it!)

An old literary joke, from H. Rider Haggard (the same author who wrote King Solomon's Mines)

H. Rider Haggard, She, 1887
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/40/79/16987/1/frameset.html

The British sitcom Rumpole of the Bailey picked it up as an amusing phrase used to refer to one's wife, from whence it entered the vernacular.

Well there you go, I just got a bit smarter. thanks! I knew about ROTB, but not the She reference.

This came up in conversation with SWMBO. She is my brewing partner. Jokingly I called her a brewmistress. Then I realized that sounds kind of dirty, so what exactly is the correct term?
Beermistress?
Beermaid?
Beermatron?

I've always been fond of "brewbabe." :ban:
Regards, GF.

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or not, but the correct term for a female brewer in olden times was a "Brewster". That is where the surname comes from.

Latest posts

Back