Corona style mill to crush my barley ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miguel Dlm

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I am brewing my third small batch of 5 litres BIAB, I live in a small apartment so its the bigger I can get for now, likewise it allows me to brew more often and ruin recipes without feeling so much pain of the waste hehe. The thing is that the only brewery supply store that I can have access to, delivered the barley uncrushed. Considering that I am fully aware that the option of a proper barley grain mill is the very best way to go, for now it is not really an affordable option (money and room wise), so in the meantime, would a corona style mill do a good enough job ?, would it make any difference against using a baking rolling pin for instance? Thank you guys for your time in advance ! ;)

Hi everyone ! I am brewing my third small batch of 5 litres BIAB, I live in a small apartment so its the bigger I can get for now, likewise it allows me to brew more often and ruin recipes without feeling so much pain of the waste hehe. The thing is that the only brewery supply store that I can have access to, delivered the barley uncrushed. Considering that I am fully aware that the option of a proper barley grain mill is the very best way to go, for now it is not really an affordable option (money and room wise), so in the meantime, would a corona style mill do a good enough job ?, would it make any difference against using a baking rolling pin for instance? Thank you guys for your time in advance ! ;)
For biab, as far as I read about it, yes. For everything else problematic as it doesn't really crush but more like cut the grain and also the husk. This doesn't matter for biab but for traditional lautering it can cause stuck mashes.

But be prepared to run a few kg of grain through it that needs to be thrown away afterwards as a lot of those mills seem to be coated with a cheap silver coloured paint inside that ends up on the grain.... Or find another solution to really clean it.

Last edited:
For biab, as far as I read about it, yes. For everything else problematic as it doesn't really crush but more like cut the grain and also the husk. This doesn't matter for biab but for traditional lautering it can cause stuck mashes.

But be prepared to run a few kg of grain through it that needs to be thrown away afterwards as a lot of those mills seem to be coated with a cheap silver coloured paint inside that ends up on the grain.... Our find another solution to really clean it.

I see, good to keep that in mind. Thanks !

I use a corona for all my brews (biab). Mostly 1-3 gallon batches with the odd 5 gallon. My only real issue is how long it takes. I tried to do the drill mod but my drill is not up to the job. Otherwise it does a good job of giving me a fine grind for biab.

I love my Corona mill and I do 2 gal batches. The modifications in that Junk Mill post are really useful, especially the washers and machine screw. I also got two 2 gallon buckets to make a stand/shroud to catch and collect the grain.

I use this drill to drive my corona mill: 1/2 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill

Goes through 12-15lbs of grain in a minute or two...

Note that this one: 3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill
isn't up to the job for that much grain... it'll grunt through it, but it gets too hot.... Will burn out the motor pretty quickly.

I made an ugly junk homer bucket mill station using ideas from the thread posted above.... I use an old cracked bottled water carboy with the bottom cut out as my hopper....

Works great! Been using for years. Much better than relying in the LHBS for a decent crush.

I use a Corona mill but I capture the milled grains in a gallon ziplock bag that I hold to the mill with clothespins. This helps control the dust and one hopper full fits in one bag. I can then dump the bag into the pot with one hand while stirring with the whisk with my other hand.

awesome, will keep in mind the mentioned modifications, it should arrive next week, looking forward to see how it goes ! thank you guys !

I've been using the same corona mill for 26 years. I have migrated to BIAB but have used it for every possible mash process known to man. One thing I learned a long time ago was to wet down my grain just before running it through the corona mill. Over the years I've learned to use about 1 1/2 oz of water from a spray bottle, to 5 lbs of grain. This helps with the hull shredding, crushing of the grain as well as dust control.

Mill cheap rice or corn! Or sand. Re-run it through, as many times as needed.
Or just use sandpaper or a stiff wire brush (on a drill), or use a Dremel tool to remove the coating off the grinding faces.

good one! luckily I got some extra rice, so first thing that I will do :cool:

I am brewing my third small batch of 5 litres BIAB, I live in a small apartment so its the bigger I can get for now,
Variety won't hurt, and you'll get better at brewing, faster.

You can easily do 2 or 3 batches back to back. Mash in a large enough pot in a prewarmed but turned off oven. Lauter through a sieve, then vorlauf by pouring the wort again through the grain heap in the sieve to remove all bits and dust. I've gotten some of the clearest wort that way!

A beverage cooler can make an excellent fermentation chamber for multiple smaller batches. Large enough to hold your fermenters and filled with just enough cold water to prevent the fermenters from starting to float. Add bottles of frozen water to control the temp of the water jacket. An aquarium heater can warm it up if or when needed, or let it ride on ambient temps.

Latest posts

Back