corny sanke D keg questions on spear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals...

So I picked up a used sanke D corny keg and somewhat curious on a few things on it!

1st the spear assembly didn't come with one of those spiral rings it came with a snap ring minus the "ears" for the snap ring plyers.

The body of the keg didnt even have a notch in it to be able to remove the clip. No idea how they took the clip out unless they broke the one in it and just threw that one on... but even then... all the sanke kegs ive seen all have a notch in them? is mine a 1 off sanke keg or is this somewhat common?

Anywho... I ended up drilling a notch in the body so I could get the ring out 1 problem solved.

the spear has some MAJOR build up on it, ive soaked it over night in water and oxy clean which got most of it off but still has quite a bit left mainly on the upper shaft.

Any tricks on getting the real tough stuff off... god knows how long the keg sat uncleaned with res in it still of the previous brew.

as for the retaining clip... ive seen I have a couple choices, the spiral clip or the retaining clip from kegman.... kegman's "kit" seems ideal seeing I do need a new Oring at the bottom but is there anywhere that sells more parts for the spears? like the upper valve seal (mine has a rip, it seals but Don't know if I should trust it)

Thanks!

Back