Corny - Leaking Pressure Relief Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I have two corny lids with pressure relief valves that are leaking on me. These are the pull ring type valves. When I bought the kegs (used) this was not an issue and they held pressure. However, since I removed the relief valves to clean them they have small leaks. Is there a trick to get them to seat right or could I have over/under tightened them. I did try tightening them up as well as loosening them with no luck.

Thanks for the link. The ones I were seeing were ~$10 each. The thing that makes me wonder is that when I got these kegs they worked great and held pressure which was about 2 months ago. Since then they have not been used and have NOT been under pressure. It makes me think that I screwed something up when I took the pressure relief valves out to clean them. Hmmmmm.......

My guess is that the rubber gasket deforms slightly and works when it hits the exact spot that deforms it. Once you remove it and put it back you never get it in the same spot again.

Thought I would add to this. I also had a problem getting a valve to seal on a keg after diassembling it to clean. I put some keg lube on the tip of the valve, and it sealed -- for a few days. Now my CO2 tank is empty, and I'm 100% sure it was the valve, as it hissed and gurgled around the valve seat when I hooked it back up to the gas and sprayed with star-san. I would not mess around with a leaky one; just buy a few spares and save some CO2 cash.

Latest posts

Back