Corny Kegging .. Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFCARTER

Reaction score
I just sort of guess that there is probably oxygen in the keg when you keg it because you fill it while it is open, then I suppose that while you have it at 30 PSI to carb you can also flush the oxygen by opening the relief valve. Is this true or am I just wasting CO2 is there a way if not? Other than pellets something with no extra gear required.

Thanks!

Most people do purge the O2 by pulling the relief after adding pressure from the tank.

Yes, you need to purge the keg. Some do it before racking, some do it after racking, some do it before and after racking. I do both. After I fill the keg, I hit it with CO2, and pull the relief valve several times to make sure all of the O2 is expelled.

Anyone know how long it takes for O2 and CO2 to separate into different layers inside the keg?

I normally hit my keg with 20 pounds or so and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then release the valve and repeat.

Is this a waste or should I be letting the gases settle even longer?

It may be wrong, but I was told to pressurize with no more than 5psi to expel the o2 and to do this 3 or 4 times before pressuring up to twenty to seal everything. Reasoning was that hitting it with 20psi from the start will actually push the oxygen into the beer rather than separate it to the top of the keg. But I would like to know weather this is true or not.

Yea it seems like this is one of the more "wing it" areas so I was just wondering, lol.

I don't know exacts, but I hit my empty keg with 12 psi, let it set a couple minutes, purge, then fill, hit it with 30 psi to seal, purge a couple of times and let it be. probably a waste of gas, but it makes me feel better.

Back