Corny Keg - Liquid Line Won't Connect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCartelli

Reaction score
Ugh... So I have a fully pressurized corny keg that I was going to tap tonight however the liquid line will not attach. I tried it on my other kegs and there is no problem so it's something with the post or poppet but I just can't figure out what. I already made sure to check that the posts were correct and they are. The only thing I notice is that the poppet on the liquid side that I am trying to connect to sits slightly high perhaps? I don't want to push too hard because... well I don't know, in the back of my mind I feel like it's going to explode haha.

I have no idea what to do. I'm still fairly new to this, it's only my fourth time kegging but my first time using this keg and I have never run into an issue like this before.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Help please! Thanks in advance!

Latch the PRV open, then grab something pointy and use it to depress the Out poppet.
If you can't get it to move, that would inform the situation.

I once did a poor job of re-installing a poppet after cleaning and it was totally wedged in the bore. Even leaning on it with an awl would not persuade it to budge. Took the post apart, positioned the poppet properly, reinstalled it and all was well again...

Cheers!

Latch the PRV open, then grab something pointy and use it to depress the Out poppet.
If you can't get it to move, that would inform the situation.

I once did a poor job of re-installing a poppet after cleaning and it was totally wedged in the bore. Even leaning on it with an awl would not persuade it to budge. Took the post apart, positioned the poppet properly, reinstalled it and all was well again...

Cheers!

Ok so that actually seems to be the issue. I let all of the pressure out and tried to push down on the poppet and it won't budge at all. Can I take the post apart with the keg full? Probably a dumb question but again this is something I have never encountered before so I don't even know how to take the post off haha. Thanks.

Yes, you can - as long as you keep the PRV latched open you won't even suffer a beer shower :)

You'll need either an 11/16 or 7/8 wrench or socket to remove the Out post.

Cheers!

Yes, you can - as long as you keep the PRV latched open you won't even suffer a beer shower :)

You'll need either an 11/16 or 7/8 wrench or socket to remove the Out post.

Cheers!

Thanks so much for your help. Looks like I'll be hitting the hardware store in the morning!

Thanks so much for your help. Looks like I'll be hitting the hardware store in the morning!

Did this keg ever work properly? Might provide a clue.

Btw, if your keg sports a 12-point gas post be sure you pick up a 12 point 7/8" socket or box wrench. That'll work on both posts if that's the style you have...

Cheers!

Sometimes when I can't get a quick connect on a post all it takes is a little dab of moisture or keg lube on the post's oring, then the qc slides right on easy. Though if you can't depress the poppet that is a another problem...

I've run into a problem. The post is so over-tightened that it pushed down and it's impossible to turn. No idea what to do now. Very frustrated.

I had a post I could not get off the keg--no matter how much I tried, I couldn't keep the keg from turning.

Then, a lightbulb went off. Here are two pics showing how you can use a piece of 1x2 to stabilize the keg while you bear down on the wrench or socket. If you have a keg with no handles this won't work, but in most cases it will.

cornykegleverage.jpg

cornykegleverage2.jpg

Just to update. Progress is being made. Was able to get the post off and fix the pin. The line still doesn't fit perfectly but with some slight force it connects and dispenses. My new issue is that it dispenses all foam which eventually settles into half a beer. Doing some research on these boards I am going to see if it's the O rings inside the keg on the out line. I don't think it's over-carbonated because I am only dispensing around 10psi but I'll start with the O rings and go from there. Really hope I can get it figured out because it's the happiest I have ever been with a beer I made.

Thanks for all of your help here.

If that poppet is barely opening it will cause foam.
You can roughly compare the force needed to open it to the force needed to depress the plunger in the disconnect.
If the poppet needs way more force it may not be opening enough...

Cheers!

If that poppet is barely opening it will cause foam.
You can roughly compare the force needed to open it to the force needed to depress the plunger in the disconnect.
If the poppet needs way more force it may not be opening enough...

Cheers!

Oho! Interesting idea....that would also potentially mean if the poppet in the QD is weak (meaning the spring), it may not be strong enough to open the poppet on the post....

Latest posts

Back