Corny keg as a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathtractor

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of y'all use your corny kegs as a secondary? Im thinking about trying this but would like to see what some of you guys think first.

You absolutely can do that!

I've used a corny as a secondary both with ales at room temp and lagers in a converted freezer. Just be sure you hit it with some CO2, purge and then pressurize first!

I do it all the time. I stay in the primary for 2-3 weeks or til whenever the beer is done and I get around to it. Then I rack to a keg a age in there at least a week to age before going in the keezer. Usually ends up aging in the keg a couple weeks before a spot in the keezer opens up.
Do be sure to purge the oxygen from the headspace with CO2. I sometimes even hit it with 30 psi every few days to start carbing it during that time.

Can use as a primary and secondary too. Bunch of threads out on it if you want to search.

Yes, some people use them for primaries too. It's a little less of a perfect fit but there are advantages to it for sure. But it's great for secondarying. I never use anything else for my secondary.

Plus you don't have to leave the beer in the primary for weeks on end either. I like to brew and I let the beers go about 1-2 weeks in primary and then keg. Sometimes there is enough gravity points left in them to carb up in the keg, but I give it enough CO2 to seal the lid.
Most times I will jumper to another keg for serving.

We often do secondary in kegs, unless we dry hop. Then we go to glass with hops, then on to the keg. Hops are a ***** to get out of the kegs.

I've used kegs to ferment in, both corny and Sanke... I've also aged in both kinds of kegs. I don't "secondary" my brews, giving the full time span on the yeast before aging/bottling. I'm actually going to have a batch going into a 1/6 Sanke today (starting the batch shortly) that will sit there for about a month before getting bottled.

Personally, I really like to ferment in kegs since they're SS, light (and air) tight and are easy to find places for. Plus, they have handles built in, making them very easy to move. I'm also planning on getting some 1/4 Sanke kegs for bigger batches.

Back