Corny Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
All the threads I see on this are about taking them apart, but when you first get a new one, and you want to scrub the inside well, what do you use? I did my oxyclean soaks, etc but my arm only fits in halfway up my forearm. How are you guys getting inside to scrub?

You can use a brush. I usually just soak them in Oxy over night, rinse, and fill with Starsan. I only use a brush if needed. Make sure you replace all the gaskets when you first get them too.

I break it down completely and do an overnight soak in lotsa oxyclean-the water turns black as the rubber dust comes off. Then I scrub the sides with Barkeepers friend and rinse it out completely set it upside down to dry. Then I use Mother's "Back-to-Black" on the base and handle to renew the finish...grease up new o-rings and universal poppets. Run some star san through them and put some pressure on them and their ready to fill when needed. Its a pain, but Im only that anal when I first get them or they get funky...

I did a fill and soak with oxy clean, dumped the next day and refilled and soaked with oxy clean another day. I am going to break down and clean, it is just the getting inside them to the bottom that was the issue.

I made a keg cleaner out of a bucket, fountain pump, and a sprinkler riser. Super easy and it cleans kegs and carboys great!!

That might be true...I have used on old, dried krausen and it worked like a champ. I just let it recirculate for an hour or two with hot Oxiclean.

Back