Cornies empty too fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
Guys I have a major problem. I hope someone has a good solution. I brewed a nut brown ale 6 months ago, finished the kegerator a week and a half ago, and carbed up that brown ale. Holy crap its almost gone... yeah, yeah, we drink to fast. But I gave out 10 or so small samples and pulled like 30 pints off of it, and I dont even know if I will have enough for tonight. I think this homebrewing is actually going to be a problem with me. Good beer and small kegs = empty kegs way to soon.

Help... SWMOB will only allow $60 buck a month. Anyone got good recipies that might come in under $30 buck a piece. I am not all grain compatible yet, however I am not affraid of all grain at all, and will be there within a couple of years. I need decent extract recipies that will still allow me to pay the bills and save $400 a month... yes, she expects me to save 400 a month, that gives me 60 a month to spend on myself. Oh well, when we get the down payment for a house I will then have about 300 a month!! Can you see the fun coming for me!? But I need to make it to that point.

Save up for AG:D

ugh... your a temptress, yeah I said it. I have two good size coolers out here that would make great mash tuns. I have a turkey fryer burner that was given to me. But yet I am only missing a couple things.

1. Large enough brew pot. I want to be able to do at least 10 gallons if I am going to go all grain, no point in less the way I look at it.

2. Miscellaneus parts to convert cooler

3. complete knowledge of all grain. And I never do anythign without understanding it first. I rebuilt the motor and completely tuned a fuel/spark system on a car without ever touching the motor or the computer before doing so. I read so much that it was a breeze, that was years ago and now it is second nature. And have have done other things like build a computer without ever knowing how, just by reading and research. And I am positive I could do an all grain this second but still possitive is not enough for me. The day I do my first all grain, they will be no setbacks or small mistakes. I have to know things like second nature before I even attempt them.

$60 a month is what I spend on AG (10 gallon batches). That's a keg (5 gallons) down the hatch every two weeks.

Just sayin'....

WTF... someone here has a hombrew goblin for a pet... I went out to the kegerator and saw somthing furry scampering away... and now there is only about 2 pints left in there. I will find you homebrew-goblin-sorcerer, I will find you... and when I do.... We will drink nut brown ale together, on you this time, you owe me.

You are going to have to buy bulk in extract and brew lower gravity beers to get the per batch price down. You should be able make $25 dollar batches at that rate if they are not hop bombs.

Or you could get a 2nd job.:)

WTF... someone here has a hombrew goblin for a pet... I went out to the kegerator and saw somthing furry scampering away... and now there is only about 2 pints left in there. I will find you homebrew-goblin-sorcerer, I will find you... and when I do.... We will drink nut brown ale together, on you this time, you owe me.

Look at this crap, I heard somthing out in my front porch and grabbed my camera... And I caught the homebrew goblin in the act... This time he left me a beer... I won this round, but I think he is ahead by a few rounds....

Joelandbrew078-1.jpg

haha That is great. I too am about to start kegging soon (finally found my good deal for chest freezer thanks to another member on here) and am anxious to see how fast I go through my brew.

$60 a month is what I spend on AG (10 gallon batches).
and I didn't spend a lot more than that to go from Extract to AG.
Got a fryer on sale for like 40, had the copper to do a manifold, Spent abut $35 on a cooler and copper fittings.

Now $60 gets me most of 2 5 gallon batches...and I can do 15 gallons of some for that cost...and I think BierMunchers cream of 3 crops might go 20 or 25 gallons on $60 (IF you buy in bulk or on sale)

Buying hops in bulk and reusing your yeast will take you a long way towards bringing your batch cost to $30, even with extract brewing. Wait for AHS to have free shipping again (like they did a bit ago) will also let you get a lot of DME cheaply.

Kegs do go fast, don't they? I think I got the rare 4 gallon Cornelius kegs. That's the only way to explain how quickly they empty :D.

Buying your dry extract in bulk, making lower gravity beers, making less hoppy beers (think English and German), and either washing & repitching your liquid yeast or using dry yeast will easily keep your batches under $25-30. While waiting for the disposable income to purchase all-grain gear you can make excellent beer with countertop partial mashing. All you need is a grain bag and a two gallon cooler. You've probably got the cooler in your garage.

Chad

Guys I have a major problem. I hope someone has a good solution. I brewed a nut brown ale 6 months ago, finished the kegerator a week and a half ago, and carbed up that brown ale. Holy crap its almost gone... yeah, yeah, we drink to fast. But I gave out 10 or so small samples and pulled like 30 pints off of it, and I dont even know if I will have enough for tonight. I think this homebrewing is actually going to be a problem with me. Good beer and small kegs = empty kegs way to soon.

Help... SWMOB will only allow $60 buck a month. Anyone got good recipies that might come in under $30 buck a piece. I am not all grain compatible yet, however I am not affraid of all grain at all, and will be there within a couple of years. I need decent extract recipies that will still allow me to pay the bills and save $400 a month... yes, she expects me to save 400 a month, that gives me 60 a month to spend on myself. Oh well, when we get the down payment for a house I will then have about 300 a month!! Can you see the fun coming for me!? But I need to make it to that point.

If you really want to save money, I'd go all grain. I know there are plenty of debates out there about the equipment offsetting the savings, but my all grain recipes routinely come in at around $20. For instance, my last Blonde Ale (6 gallons) came in at $23.08 and that is with liquid yeast, instead of Nottingham dry. My brown ale was just $23.31, also a 6 gallon batch. For around $60/month you could make 3 batches of all grain vs. maybe 2 batches every month with extract. For equipment, it ain't that bad if you're willing to be a minimalist.

Ice Chest or Drink Cooler(at least 5g): use one you already have or buy at a yard sale.
CPVC or Copper Manifold and Valve: <$20
Turkey Fryer Kit (comes with 7.5g kettle): <$50 (mine was $38)

I use my ale pail to collect the runings, and my turkey fryer kettle to heat my strike and sparge water. Pretty low-tech, but cost effective as hell. You can get into all grain for under $100 if you're cheap like me :D. Then it will only take you 10 batches or so for that to pay for itself. Or you could do like I did, and contract brew for some of your friends. I've had people give me $45 for 2+ cases of beer, good deal for them and good deal for me. I got to make beer, and also made about $20. :rockin:

I haven't kept track of prices lately but with buying 50# sacks of two row and some specialty grains/hops I'm pretty sure a batch of Edwort's Pale Ale is pretty cheap, I know I can make 2 10 gal batches for under $60

twoheads, dont ever say you are contract brewing. It illegal and I would be shocked if ATF doesnt keep an eye on this board. Just let your friends buy you ingredients and then you can give them free beer.

twoheads, dont ever say you are contract brewing. It illegal and I would be shocked if ATF doesnt keep an eye on this board. Just let your friends buy you ingredients and then you can give them free beer.

No worries...I must have mis-typed. I meant that I gave my friend some beer and he happened to leave some money on my counter after a party. He didn't want his money back, and I didn't want my beer back. On second thought, he did want to buy bottles from me...unfortunately all I had was bottles full of beer :D.

Back