Corn sugar shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerialmedical

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the shelf life of corn sugar would be? I have about a lb. of corn sugar in a sealed zip lock bag, have had it for approx. three years from my Mr. Beer days. It's been through various temperature & humidity changes over the years....Ok to use for bottling or toss it?

Revvy said:
It's sugar...as long as it doesn't get wet, it's going to last as long as any other sugar....Do you worry about the shelf life of table sugar?

Well I certainly may hesitate putting some 3 yr. old table sugar in my coffee if I didn't know any better...sounds like it should be just fine then.

I wouldn't sweat it. I bought five lbs back in 2003 and still had about 3 lbs left when I took a 7 year hiatus from brewing. Earlier this year, I had about a lb of it left that never made it into one thing or another over the years. I used the last of it this Spring...No infection, no carbonation problems, no worries.

sugar is one of the most stable food products you will find. Due to the low moisture content, it will keep until the next ice age.

Back