corn sugar/apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I am making a 15 gallon batch of apfelwein. I have a few large bags of opened corn sugar. Do I need to boil the sugar to sanitize if so how? Put Apple juice in pan and boil?

I'd drink it personally, and I'd give some away of course. Good booze is always better shared!

Just boil some water and add the sugar to that, add when cool.

dont boil your sugar, it will be fine.

bacteria and other nasties have a hard time making a home on pure sugar...it's bad for their cell walls and they dont tend to survive long. Thats why you can leave a bag of sugar in the pantry for 5 years and not have it go bad...

If you're just fermenting the apple juice/cider now, there's no need to add any additional sugar. There's enough sugar in the apple as it is.

If you're bottling, boil some water and add some corn sugar to it to disolve, corn sugar quantities dependant on how carbonated you want it.

Definitely no need to boil the sugar. Just add it to the apple juice, shake to dissolve, and ferment away!

Back