Corked bottles - corks pushed in too far.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fetus

Reaction score
Greetings Folks,

Long time member who unfortunately had to take a long break from brewing. Back now, and I just bottled a sour beer that had been sitting for a few years.

I've never done much bottling. I put the sour into 750ml and 375ml bottles. The corker I was using pushed the corks too far into the bottles, and I didn't really think about it until the whole batch was in bottles. Most of the corks are only sticking out of the bottle by a few millimeters.

My question is, should I take a corkscrew and manually back out every bottle, or will the pressure of the carbonating beer push the corks out to the cages? I measured sugar out to give me around 2.5 volumes of CO2.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insults?

IMG_20170814_182539.jpg

I would leave them as is. If the cage is loose and the corks push out the cork will be contained. The bottles are still sealed if the corks don't push out. Use the corkscrew if necessary at sampling time.

Back