Coriander flavor vanished - ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Why did no coriander flavor come through?

They were was very fragrant coriander seeds. I tried a summer wheat recipe with 70% barley, 30% wheat, and 1 oz of ground coriander boiled 10 minutes. I thought that was a large amount but no orange flavor survived.

it is still a good, clean summer ale.

Too much barley? You are looking for coriander flavor or orange flavor? Sounds like the right amount for a 5 gallon batch. Here is my go to for what it sounds like you were trying.

Yeah...the flour is just to insure the beer stays hazy, regardless of how long it might sit in a chilled keg or bottle.

I've had judges sample my wits before (in casual company) and even though they still tasted great after several months, they were crystal clear and that can detract from the whole "wit" experience. The flour addition is something I heard on Jamil's show.

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

I poured the spice mixes into the hop bag with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Then I tied off that bag and let it sink to the bottom of the kettle as I cooled the wort. I wanted to let those spices (and hops) steep for the extra 15 minutes.

I pitched a simple slurry of Safale-05 from a prior batch when the wort hit 76 degrees. A bit warmer than usual, but the higher temp will add some slight esters I want.

Back