Corded drill for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good. That drill can do 2500 RPM and the speed control is not done via gearing but some type of voltage control. You'll end up having to run the mill too fast to get the torque you need. The better corded drills are those rated for a lower top speed or ones with an adjustable gear box.

The Harborfreight has a max of 600 RPM so the 200-300RPM range you'll want is at a much higher trigger pull.

1633808469064.png

Ah, I didn't understand the max RPM would be an issue as I didn't entirely realize how slow you need to run the drill. Fortunately, they opened a new HF close by so I was able to swap the Lowes model for the Bauer 1996E-B. That thing is a freaking beast.

Those adjustable wheels inside the trigger (limiting how far you can squeeze it in) have gone out of fashion apparently. :(

In a pinch one could use a ziptie to keep the trigger part-way engaged. Or combine it with a (wooden) wedge or so to control the tension. There are other methods.

Just don't walk away while it's running!

Screenshot_20211010-080806_Vivaldi.jpg

I purchased a 20volt li-ion Harbor Freight drill 2 years ago, a little cheaper than the HD Ryobi. Mistake, Trigger went bad. Customer Service said its out of stock and will not be available.

Back