Coq au Vin and Gewurztraminer- Apple Gallette IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHefJohnboyardee

Reaction score
I got some fresh butchered free-range chickens. When I ordered them all I could think about was Coq au Vin! Yesterday I picked up my chickens in the morning and set out to make this marvelous dish in the afternoon. I had a bottle of Chateau Ste Michelle's Gewurztraminer that was a neat pairing. The wine wasn't too sweet and it played off the acid and fat of the chicken and smoky pork fat.

Wanting to make this a nice dinner, I had some fresh bread made up, some candied carrots, boiled red potatoes and then an Apple Gallette! A galllette is a pie shell filled and baked without a pie pan, its a drier tart... anyways, think apple pie without the brown spices. No cinnamon and nutmeg in this recipe. Just butter, sugar, apples and lemon zest. It was amazing with the Red Hook Long Hammer IPA. So dry apple taste with tart lemon with hoppy goodness. I'm hooked. :)

Happy Brewing,

I can't seem to follow what it is you're saying, but for some reason it's making me hungry.

Coq au Vin is french for Rooster with Wine! You start out by getting some butter and bacon grease going in a skillet then fry up a dredged chicken (or chicken parts). Once its browned you take it out of the pan and put it in a casserole dish. Then in the same pan you fry up some mushrooms, then some onions, celery and carrots. Then you add it all in with the chicken. Then you deglaze the skillet with some red wine prefereably burgundy then you pour it all over the chicken, mushrooms and veggies and let it sit at 200 degree for a couple of hours and then devour it when the chicken is coming off the bone! Serve with some sort of potatoes and fresh baked bread. :)

The apple gallette was making a great meal even greater but the Gewurztraminer set it all together and with it being a semi-sweet white wine I didn't think it would work out like it did.

Back