Copper wort chiller - when to replace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechFanMD

Reaction score
OK, so I know it depends on how long it takes you to chill (ground water temp) and how corrosive your water is and a bunch of other factors...

How long (or how many batches) would you use a chiller before proactively replacing - if ever.

My dad had his chiller develop a pinhole leak which he discovered when brewing a Pliny clone - so he lost a very expensive beer and all of the time he spent that brew day when he discovered that it had leaked (it was a couple of gallons AND the local water is highly chlorinated).

Just curious - do you replace ahead of time, wait for leaks, or was this a fluke? I want to learn from his issue and try to not have it happen to me.

I realize that the same tubing is used for humidifiers, ice makers, etc and lasts decades under constant use.....but this is flexed more, and is subjected to high heat and wort, cleaning agents......is it enough to cause failure before the normal uses would?

I would expect a well constructed copper IC to outlive its builder, at least wrt integrity. But copper is not without issues wrt brewing, and its usage has diminished in modern times.

If you can swing it, get a stainless steel IC and never worry about corrosion, leaks, oxidation or verdigris again...

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr I appreciate your input greatly. I actually haven't head trouble with verdigris - at least on the visible side of the tubing.

Stainless is so much less efficient, and I try to conserve water AND get it cold as quickly as possible. Also, summer water temps are enough trouble without a reduced efficiency of Stainless. There is a reason Jaded doesn't even sell stainless as an option.

I don't know just how less efficient SS is vs Cu when one considers just how thin the tubing walls are. I used a Cu IC for years but moved on to SS for quality reasons.

As for Jaded...take a look at their home page :)
They do great things with copper. Coming up with a way to do a Hydra with SS tubing had to be difficult...

Cheers!

I don't just how less efficient SS is vs Cu when one considers just how thin the tubing walls are. I used a Cu IC for years but moved on to SS for quality reasons.

As for Jaded...take a look at their home page :)
They do great things with copper. Coming up with a way to do a Hydra with SS tubing had to be difficult...

Cheers!

It would be very difficult. I really need to buy one of their chillers or something more efficient than what I have. I have a 15g kettle and generally brew 5g batches...the width keeps the liquid level low, and they have options that have a lot of cooling very low. With quick cooling I'd have water going through for minimal time...and you're right.....it would probably last beyond my lifetime.

From a home inspector's perspective, I know low ph water will dissolve copper pipes from the inside over an extended period of time (decades). We find this to be an issue with well water from time to time. Wort is acidic. A combination of acidic wort on the outside and acidic water on the inside would speed the corrosion process. How old was your dad's chiller coil?

From a home inspector's perspective, I know low ph water will dissolve copper pipes from the inside over an extended period of time (decades). We find this to be an issue with well water from time to time. Wort is acidic. A combination of acidic wort on the outside and acidic water on the inside would speed the corrosion process. How old was your dad's chiller coil?

Dad's chiller was probably 15 years old so maybe 90-120 batches. He is on municipal water.

As far as efficiency goes, copper is by far more efficient. We do build both copper and stainless steel wort chillers.

We have a (not the most exciting) video that does try to show the difference in conductivity between stainless and copper.

I'm on a list and waiting for the SS Hydra. I figure the triple coil design will more than compensate for any loss of efficiency in SS when compared to my home made, single coil, copper chiller, and I'll come out ahead.

Thar said, as has been mentioned, I would expect that old copper one to outlive me. One thing with copper, you should never, if possible, use cleaners on it. Rinse thoroughly with hot water immediately after use, and allow a dull, red, passive, oxide layer to build.

Back