Copper manifold and grain scorching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus_Maximus

Reaction score
So currently I am using a false bottom in my stainless mash tun. Seems to be working out for now (making good brew), but I do have a small problem with it... There is 2 gallons of dead space underneath the false bottom in my brew pot, which means I have to mash at a ratio of about 1.7 quarts per lb of grain. But this high water to grain ratio means I am using a LOT less sparge water (only like 3 gallons instead of 5 gallons). To solve this problem I am thinking I might switch to a copper manifold and ditch the false bottom. My only fear is that I am slightly concerned about scorching the grain without the false bottom. On my last brew, I had to hit the mash tun with heat for 3 minutes half way through the mash to keep the temp steady at 154F (worked really well actually). So if I have to heat it and the grain is on the bottom of the stainless pot, is this gonna scorch/caramelize the grain and possible cause off flavors and/or a stuck sparge?

On a side note.. As I mentioned earlier, on my last brew I was able to keep the mash temp VERY stable in my stainless mash tun.. To do this I just heated the water to 160F, added the grain, covered the mash tun, and took it inside (off the burner).. Once inside I wrapped it in several blankets and let it sit for 30 min.. After 30 min it had dropped from 154F to 152 F, so I put it back on the propane burner for 3 mins, and then wrapped it back up in the blankets. At first there was no temperature change, but after a few minutes the thermometer went back up to 154F. I've heard that some people have horrible times holding temps in stainless, but using this method I thought it was fairly easy/reliable.

Any input appreciated!

I would give it a quick, thorough stir and continue to stir while heating. I have to add heat to mine as well midway through and always stir it to keep the temp stable, works so far with no issues. I'll do this until I get my automated rimms system up and running.

Bigger, stronger, darker!

I didn't open my mash tun at all when I added the heat (put it on the burner). My thought was that opening the lid during the mash might let heat escape. How long do you usually heat it for while stirring (half way through mash)? If you do a mash out, do you also stir while heating to temp?

I am curious what kind of efficiency you get with your copper manifold? I have a copper manifold already, but I am going to redesign it for better efficiency. I was hitting about 60% efficiency with it, but I think by adding more rows to the manifold I can get more even draining.

Thanks for the advice man!! :mug:

I stir during mash out as well. I'm getting close to 72% efficiency since closely monitoring the mash temp. That being said, I use a false bottom with a pickup tube, no manifold. I have read that a two degree drop in temperature greatly affects your efficieny, this is pretty much backed up since I started adding heat half way thru. Remember, the temp is where the probe is, it may be lower or higher in other areas, thus my reasoning for stirring. Like I said earlier, once I get my rimms system and can maintain a constant temp, this is what I'll do because I have seen results. I suggest toying with your system to get the desired results. Prost!

Bigger, stronger, darker!

Latest posts

Back