Copper coil on exterior of fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
I know ive seen pictures of this, but for the life of me I can't find them again.

I'm making a cooling setup for my conical fermenter. I don't have an immersion cooler.

What are the pros/con of pumping cold water to a copper coil thats wrapped on the exterior of a 7 gallon SS fermenter?

Also, can someone link me a pic of this? My brain is a little foggy :confused:

:mug:

Your heat transfer would be pretty negligible in such a system. You'd waste far more energy trying to cool the thing by a couple degrees than would be worth it and it would be slow slow slow.

Your heat transfer would be pretty negligible in such a system. You'd waste far more energy trying to cool the thing by a couple degrees than would be worth it and it would be slow slow slow.

So SS immersion coil is the way to go? - using the pump and cold water. I was hoping the copper wrap would suffice. I don't trust myself drilling decent enough holes in my fermenter

I've abandoned the swamp cooler method and I don't have a large enough fridge to house the fermenter.

Look up some of the threads using "discharge hose" wrapped around the exterior with a layer of insulation on top if you want to go this way.

If you are going to drill holes use a punch.

SS immersion coil works, but to me is just one more thing to keep clean and sanitized. I'm looking to make a peltier setup for my SS Chronical. Or I'll just get lazy and stuff it in a temp controlled stand up freezer.

I've got some neoprene sheeting laying around. I believe it's similar to the material used in the ftss. You think it'd be worth fashioning a jacket around the wrapped discharge tube?

Back