copitching brett and saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
I'm curious how people are going about doing this. Currently I am having good results with pitching saison yeast and a brett blend at the same time. Ferments out to terminal in 2 months tops. I'm just trying to get a better process then eyeballing my brett. I am pitching a sufficient starter of the saison yeast (Wallonian in this case) and then pouring in some slurry of brett.

Any input regarding the amount of brett to pitch with the saison yeast? I want to develop a method for consistency, especially since this is the method I'll be using to create a culture to use. Having an idea to create the same baseline would help. Cell counts of brett or mL slurry recs?

I usually do 2:1 saison:brett

If you are getting wallonian farmhouse yeast, id suggest checking out the brett amalgamation blend. I have 2 going right now spicked with it. I would keep the brett separate from the saison yeast though for consistency and being able to play around more

Sounds good, and I have a vial in the fridge. I've been using the beersel and lochristi blend. I have a saison with the lochristi blend I am blending with a older wild ale on top of peaches soon.

2:1 for cell count of just amount of slurry? And I'm deciding this because I want a baseline for when I first ferment out a batch and want to create a culture to use for future ones. Having this down consistently would allow me to re-engineer any previous blends or re-do the same method.

2:1 just for the size of the starter for each. I had 1600ml saison yeast and 800ml of brett. The brett starter was 7 days old though since it can take a bit to get going. Ive used that blend in 2 100% brett IPAs and its a great blend.

Ive got a house sour culture that ive been building and its going into this thing in a secondary. I made it with various dregs and like you, I got a lot of flavor development in just 2 months. Im not sure how long it usually takes things to get "sour". But my 10 day old starter is already getting there

Back