Coopers Wheat Kit yeast legit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
Although I left kits behind awhile ago I was tempted to do a few this summer... just very busy, hate the stove being on for hours when its hot and needed something quick and easy to brew.

I will "kick up" the kits a bit probably with DME and some carapils... anyway the question was more about the yeast that comes with the Coopers Wheat Kit. Does anyone know if that is legit wheat beer yeast? Or is is the same old basic "Ale yeast" that seems to come with the majority of the other kits???

Cheers!

I don't know what yeast is in there (I thought there was like only ONE Coopers yeast) but I do recall that the packaged dry Coopers yeast is only good for 5 gal under 1.040... so watch the bumps...

Yeah I feel like there is only one "Coopers yeast" as well... I doubt the yeast they give you with the wheat beer kit is truly a wheat beer strain yeast. It's more likely a generic ale yeast; the same that they give you with all the kits.

After almost two years of brewing and going all the way to all grain I just felt like returning to doing some simple kits (with some slight modifications) for some reason. Just felt like some easy brew days in the summer and was curious if I could get some decent results.

Yeah I feel like there is only one "Coopers yeast" as well... I doubt the yeast they give you with the wheat beer kit is truly a wheat beer strain yeast. It's more likely a generic ale yeast; the same that they give you with all the kits.

After almost two years of brewing and going all the way to all grain I just felt like returning to doing some simple kits (with some slight modifications) for some reason. Just felt like some easy brew days in the summer and was curious if I could get some decent results.

In my experience, even my flawed beers have been more enjoyable than commercial beer.
I relate homebrewing to the way beer was made back in the days.
If you want a deep defect-true to style brew, kits may not cut it.
If you want to brew and rejoice on a drink that you made, I'd say: GO FOR IT!
If it's not great, you have satisfied your curiosity and can go back to all grain knowingthat the extra effort makes it worth it.
My 2 Mexican cents....

Edit to change lots to read kits.
Writing on Mobile.��

Last edited:
Back