coopers stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
Brewed up some coopers stout today with treacle and dme and demerera.?that was eight hours ago and no sign of ferm starting yet,is this the norm?

I set some of coopers about three weeks ago and aready have the grains to set it back.

If I get it in the fermenter in the evening,it'll def be the next morning before reproduction phase is done & visible fermentation begins. & the demarara sugar has a great light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. Lends a nice complexity to the ale,imo.

I just recently brewed a Brewer's Best Irish Stout and it was my first time using dry yeast. It suggested re-hydrating before pitching so I did that and woke up the next morning with no fermentation. Came home from work and had some fermentation going on, it was about 18 hours total. Took a gravity reading cause my airlock activity has slowed almost to a halt, and I know this isn't an indicator that fermentation is complete, and my gravity is almost where it should be. Probably less then a week and it will be ready to go. Just be patient with it, I also took advantage of a taste test and have to say it was really good. Pretty green but has a really nice finish on it. Gonna let it sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks and an additional 4 weeks or so in a bottle before I crack one open ( yeah right). Best of luck to ya!

Its been about 30 hours now since I pitched my yeast,cant see any activity.Fitted a blow off tube instead of a airlock because I was worried about monster fermenting.Havnt seen one bubble yet,but there is condensation inside the lid and the lid appears to be bulging slightly.will wait and see what its like when I get home from work tommorow.any ideas?

Its been about 30 hours now since I pitched my yeast,cant see any activity.Fitted a blow off tube instead of a airlock because I was worried about monster fermenting.Havnt seen one bubble yet,but there is condensation inside the lid and the lid appears to be bulging slightly.will wait and see what its like when I get home from work tommorow.any ideas?

"BULGING LID" ????

This should not be!

It is indicative of built up pressure in the system..

bosco

It has been fermenting for about 10-12 hours now,with good evidence up the inside of the bucket.The thing that bothers me is this,I had a blow off tube fitted but even after staring at it like a loon for 5 mins,no bubbles.so now Ive pulled out the tube from the bung,and swapped it for a normal airlock.still no sign of magic.has fermenting stopped allready?Or is it a case of not enough co2 bieng produced.when I removed the blow off,I could hear and smell the air leaving the fv so Im not over worried about infection.Sorry for all the questions,just want to get it right.

Back