Coopers stout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanC92

Reaction score
I bought the coopers stout extract kit (the regular stout not the irish stout) I bought the brew enhancer 3 to put in it but I'm trying to decide if I should leave it there or add aditional ingredients.
I seen a guy on YouTube add demerara sugar amd honey and another add coffee beans.
Has anyone here ever tried these or got other things they have added?

Other general hints and tips would be appreciated:)
Appart from a brew in a bag kit this is my first attempt at a beer, I've done mead a few times I the past tho.

Thank you in advance

Sugar and honey will just add some alcohol and make the beer thinner. You may be disappointed. Honey flavors will be lost, and a waste of money.

I don't know what brew-enhancer is, probably a mix of maltodextrin and corn sugar; a cheap way to add alcohol without sacrificing body. A light/pale malt extract would be a better addition, but the enhancer will work. Another option would be to brew what is called a Tucan beer; Just brew 2 cans of Coopers and no additives to the original volume of one batch; essentially use a second can of the stout instead of the enhancer.

Adding extras seems an exciting way to improve a beer, but often it just distracts from the beer and can be disappointing. For a stout, there are a lot of things that you could add to change the beer (note; I did not say improve - it all depends on what you want in your beer) - Coffee beans, chocolate (cocoa or nibs) vanilla (beans), Bourbon, oak, Peanut butter (the powdered type), extra hops, fruit, ........ and I'm sure there a a lot of other things people have added.

If you are just starting, just brew the straight kit and see what you think of it. Adding anything will just detract from the original flavor and make it difficult to figure out if you brewed a good or bad beer or what changes you need to make for next time.

Sugar and honey will just add some alcohol and make the beer thinner. You may be disappointed. Honey flavors will be lost, and a waste of money.

I don't know what brew-enhancer is, probably a mix of maltodextrin and corn sugar; a cheap way to add alcohol without sacrificing body. A light/pale malt extract would be a better addition, but the enhancer will work. Another option would be to brew what is called a Tucan beer; Just brew 2 cans of Coopers and no additives to the original volume of one batch; essentially use a second can of the stout instead of the enhancer.

Adding extras seems an exciting way to improve a beer, but often it just distracts from the beer and can be disappointing. For a stout, there are a lot of things that you could add to change the beer (note; I did not say improve - it all depends on what you want in your beer) - Coffee beans, chocolate (cocoa or nibs) vanilla (beans), Bourbon, oak, Peanut butter (the powdered type), extra hops, fruit, ........ and I'm sure there a a lot of other things people have added.

If you are just starting, just brew the straight kit and see what you think of it. Adding anything will just detract from the original flavor and make it difficult to figure out if you brewed a good or bad beer or what changes you need to make for next time.

The brew enhancer has just arrived, I've checked the ingredients and it contains malted barley, dextrose and maltodextrin. Its ment to be sugar replacement and it was on the recommended addition on the coopers tin.
Your definitely right tho I think I'm trying to run before I walk, I will just go with the basics then experiment with additions when I have a baseline to work from :)
Will definitely take your advice for the next Time and try 2 tins :)

Thank you :)

The brew enhancer has just arrived, I've checked the ingredients and it contains malted barley, dextrose and maltodextrin. Its ment to be sugar replacement and it was on the recommended addition on the coopers tin.
Your definitely right tho I think I'm trying to run before I walk, I will just go with the basics then experiment with additions when I have a baseline to work from :)
Will definitely take your advice for the next Time and try 2 tins :)

Thank you :)

Malted barley is about the same as extra light DME. Dextrose is corn sugar, very cheap way to get more alcohol. Maltodextrine is to keep the cheap sugar from making the beer seem too thin. I'd use it for this batch because you already bought it but as Calder mentioned there may be better ways to make better beer.

With this beer you will now have a baseline to start with. I might suggest you brew a few more batches before you start with the experimentation. I didn't and ended up with a batch I couldn't stand to drink.

Back