Coopers Kit with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebpaschal

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to start my second batch of beer tomorrow and went to my LHBS today. My first batch was good but wanted to improve it by changing a few things and seeing how the two batches differed (they are both the coopers real ale kits).
They sold me a 2 lb bag of light DME to use with the coopers kit. Can I use all of this during the boil (and save a little bit for bottling), and not use dextrose? The coopers real ale kit is 3.75 lbs. The salesguy made it sound like I do not need dextrose and could use just the DME and be fine. Also, I'm using .5 lbs of crystal malt.
Any suggestions? Should I go back and get a little dextrose? What amount of DME should I use?
Sorry for the noob question but I couldn't find the answer searching!
Thanks!
-Ben

It would all depend on how high a gravity you want in your beer. Just using that kit will make a weak beer IMO, so you probably should use the DME to bump up your gravity.
Use the proper amount of dextrose to prime your finished beer with.

Do you take hydrometer readings?

Years ago when I did canned kits, I had to add DME to get up to a reasonable gravity so my beer wouldn't taste watery.

From the look of it you will need all the 2 # of DME plus your kit and the steeped crystal to get a 1040 ish beer.

yes i do take hydrometer readings. thanks for the input. I will use 2 pounds and use dextrose for bottling

Back