Coopers Funktown Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazelbrew

Reaction score
Right so this might be stretching the definition of a kit brew... but I still feel like a jumped up kit brewer playing at extract or partial mash.

I got a lucky dip of liquid yeast from a uk supplier. Along with that came some of The Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale. This yeast is a mix of a Vermont Ale ( Conan?) and a wild yeast ( I think the one that used to be classified as Brett...). So I hatched a recipe for a fruit bomb IPA using a coopers wheat kit, DME and a shed load of hops. :) I used a mixture of US pellets, NZ whole leaf and freebie hops from the geterbrewed giveaway - Bobek, Rakau and Mandarine Bavaria.

What am I aiming for? something like an East Coast IPA - cloudy, good mouthfeel, juicy hops, mixed grains of wheat/barley .

the yeast:
http://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-yeast-and-bacteria-products/funktown-pale-ale

I did a part boil with the extract and hops. Adding a small amount at 15 minutes to get some additional IBU - the coopers wheat provides not much in the way of IBU. Then the rest at flameout, and then at a reduced temp. they were left to stand for 20 minutes.

The recipe
1.7kg - Coopers Wheat kit
2kg extra pale dry malt extract.

Hops
@15 mins:
20g bobek
30g Rakau

@0 mins
20g bobek
30g rakau
20g Mandarine Bavaria

@75C and left for 20 minutes
10g bobek.
20g Mandarine Bavaria
15g Savjinksi Goldings

brewed to 20l
Calculated OG 1060
FG: should be 1013
for average attenuation for the Funktown Pale Ale yeast.
The liquid yeast was a bit out of date so I stepped it up with an 800ml starter, then stepped up again to a 2000ml starter using 150g DME.

May 8 - pitched whole starter
May 9 - krausen trying to lift lid off the FV!
May 11 - took a sample - SG1024. Smelt of peach. quite bitter. shows promise

May 15 - SG 1016 - tropical. bitter. krausen dropped.
May 17 - SG 1014
May 19 - SG 1014

might be time to dry hop with the rest of the Rakau and mandarine Bavaria :)

I am more excited about this beer than any other i have made yet.

comments? :)

I have taken perhaps too many gravity samples... but if I am honest I have finished every one of them. Can't wait to get this in bottles and conditionning!

SG still 1014 tonight so I have dry hopped.

60g mandarine Bavaria
40g rakau

Bottle midweek

Latest posts

Back