Coopers English pimped bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skain

Reaction score
Hi. Going back from AG to do a coopers English bitter can that i got for my bday.
I got some hops in the freezer and some DME around.
EIPA/AIPA kind of thing.
Its been a while with cans, so please let me know what you think:
  • 150g crystal 60L steep
  • 1kg Light DME (maybe 1.5kg?)
  • 30g centennial @ 5 (~8IBU)
  • 10g columbus @ 5 (~5IBU)
  • 1.7kg coopers bitter kit
  • 50g centennial dry hop
  • Nottingham Ale Yeast @ ~21C

Cheers Prost

i also got some fresh EKG and some 500g target hops somewhere

If it were me,I would go with the English hops.
As far as kits go,that one is nice and give a beautiful red hue

You don't really need the crystal 60L. It's a amber/copper to brown color as is. I used 3lbs Munton's plain extra light DME in my latest batch with 1oz EKG @ 15 minutes. The extra light extract allows more of the English Bitter can's bittering & true malt character to shine through. Moreso then the light does, as I used that one up until now. I only used one ounce EKG, as I siphoned off one gallon from the 6 gallon batch to make some malt vinegar. So the ABV & hops had to be lower. So it would normally get 2ozs of the hops, but the extra light gives better flavor balance, in my opinion. :mug:

Thanks.
I kinda gotta work with what i got, so i got about .5oz EKG left. I don't think that's enough.
Got loads of Centennial, Columbus and Target. I only got Light DME and about 2lb crystal 60.

I like a good malty, hop forward beer.

Thanks.
I kinda gotta work with what i got, so i got about .5oz EKG left. I don't think that's enough.
Got loads of Centennial, Columbus and Target. I only got Light DME and about 2lb crystal 60.

I like a good malty, hop forward beer.

Maybe reduce volume? Coppers bitter is pretty malty.

Latest posts

Back